I Forge Iron

Did I over pay for my anvil?

I put mine on steel stands and it's quieted them significantly. To the point I can forge on my   Soderfors without hearing protection. Believe me you ain't heard painfully loud till you've given a Soderfors, cast Swedish steel anvil on a wooden block a rap with a hammer.

That's a steal of a deal on that anvil, nobody's getting anvils for under $1.00/lb unless they stumble on one or know someone. Below is my steel stand and Soderfors anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.Anvil_stand_01s.thumb.JPG.e598267c1a711c

Just grab a length of chain enough to wrap around the waist. My HB is about the same as yours (304#) and it has a couple of small torch marks too. You paid only a quarter of what mine cost me and I was happy with the price, so again I emphasise how lucky you were to get such a quality anvil at the price you paid. I'm glad you heeded the advice of the learned smiths on this site and decided not to try welding the chisel marks, torch cuts etc. You could easily ruin a beautiful anvil.

Here's a picture of mine with the chain wrapped around its middle. The silicone around the base also helps stop the ring. Just a pleasant 'thud' now.

hardy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You got yourself a bargain there! I think the first thing you should forge on it would be a small thank you to the scrap dealer. Just good PR ... and you never know what else may turn up in that scrap yard.

So I took your advise though it wasn't the first thing I forged, this is what I made him it's my first try at something like this but I think it turned out alright 

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG