I Forge Iron

Fire brick source

Kozzy

I know it's likely been covered before but a search doesn't bring up anything specific.  

I need to do some repairs on an old propane forge as well as some other stuff that uses fire bricks both hard and soft as well as various other refractory supplies.  I was wondering if someone could recommend a good online source.  That that stuff is definitely not handled in my backwoods area.  Since the price and quality seems to vary wildly at the various online sources I've looked into,  I'd rather take a recommendation than just take a shot in the dark.  

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.  

While I'm rambling...someone about an hour away seems to have ended up with a lot of old fire brick--possibly disassembled an old kiln of some sort.  I can't seem to reference the markings with temperature rating  but was wondering what people's thoughts were about price and whether it was worth grabbing a few for future projects.  Unfortunately they're all curved or tapered so that might make using them more work than they're worth to buy new 

Craigslist link removed

They've been listed for ages so just seeking other opinions on whether you'd throw a bunch on a pallet for later....$ 4 bucks ea adds up fast.

in spokane there is a contractor called EJ Bartell that I think will sell insulating bricks to you. 

the anchorage branch sells them for under $4 each new. no store front but when you go in the office they have a small display shelf. they are nice helpful guys.

they should have 3000 deg hard brick as well. 

Interesting....I had forgotten about Bartell. I once did a job related to water jet cutting refractory blanket material with them.    Unfortunately, I rarely get to Spokane but I'll keep them in mind and try and stop by the next time I do.

Thanks

You beat me to suggesting EJ Bartell in Spokane, Tristan. They're my go to supplier for any high temp materials. The Anch office ships all over the state, maybe the Spokane office will, if not you could contact the Anchorage office.  . . . Oh nevermind.

Do a search for furnace supplies modern furnaces, especially the industrial versions use some high performance refractories.

Frosty The Lucky.

those are all hard brick. they make a durable floor but not much else. what you want is soft Insulating brick. if is about the consistency of drywall but holds the heat in. if you use all hard brick you will never build up the heat you want. especially for things like welding. 

http://refractoriesplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Insulating-firebricks.jpg

I would not waste any time with the cement. 

Holy crap, I expected a whole lot of laughing with perhaps a bit of accidental peeing with that question.... so I'm good to go just going to my local menards store and buying these for the floor of my new forge?

I have been very reluctant to buy bricks online because of the shipping issue....I just can't get over the idea of paying postage on rocks

Thor do I understand correctly that you have the hard brick making up your brick pile forge? 

Check the temp rating on the box some fire brick aren't terribly high and you really want split brick, there's no need to heat 4 1/2" of . . . rock. Insulating brick is pretty fragile for a forge floor though Tristan uses soft brick for most everything in his forges.

I'm not even going to mention what happened to the soft brick in his forge yesterday. ^_^

Frosty The Lucky.

Check the temp rating on the box some fire brick aren't terribly high and you really want split brick, there's no need to heat 4 1/2" of . . . rock. Insulating brick is pretty fragile for a forge floor though Tristan uses soft brick for most everything in his forges.

I'm not even going to mention what happened to the soft brick in his forge yesterday. ^_^

Frosty The Lucky.

jerry is right some are lower temp. I use 3000 deg rated ones on the floor of my large forge. 

Should warn you that soft brick is a consumable. They are good and cheap but they are brittle. Kaowool lasts much longer but is not as easy to rearrange for a brick pile design.