I Forge Iron

Wells Brothers post drill 4 little giant

i don't know much about it but i like it alot.  clean it up, mount it and have fun with it.  your dad might of grown up playing with it. i have the canedy otto post drill that my fatherinlaw and my wife grew up playing with hanging in my shop.  it is a treat to drill holes with.  if you can't find bits for it you can put a jacobs chuck.

just did a quick look and the oct. 26 1895 scientific america has an add for one.  they call it a drilling machine.  cant see the price.  there are couple others for sale on craigs list.

Hi Matto thanks for the response. What search on Craig's list did you use to find them? Yes I have to get it cleaned up and start using it. I never had heard of a Jacobs Chuck will have to research that where do you find them. I have not looked yet so probably should will do that tonight. Thanks again Chris 

Chris look it over closely for a data plate it should have a patent # on it or it might be part of the casting. A jacob's chuck is what you find on a drill motor or drill press to hold the bits. Not the new self locking chucks the old kind that require a key to tighten.

You might want to call a tool supply or industrial hardware. If they don't have one they'll tell you who does.

Frosty The Lucky.

Chris, i just searched wells brothers little giant #4 post drill,  a couple of craigs list sales came up and the old ad.  you should be able to get a jacobs chuck at a hardware store or anywhere that sells drills and drill presses.  

• 7 years later...

Welcome aboard splinter fingers, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a chance to hook up with members within visiting distance.

As a general rule when someone opens a post the subject line is gone, I had to go back twice to remind myself you're talking about a post drill. We also need details to provide detailed answers or suggestions. Even without knowing much or anything about a thing, pictures show what's there and lots of members may know it by sight rather than name, numbers, etc.

Depending on what kind of post drill you have it could be a real benefit to a wood worker, it's basically a large powerful hand crank drill you can feel exactly what the bit is doing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I looked for a patent on this drill and could find nothing.  One of the brothers had a few patents for taps, dies and other things but nothing on the drill itself.  I used every name associated with them but, nothing.  I wonder if companies sold rights to use their ideas and designs.  I did find an old sales catalog but it did not list their drills by number.  I like a challenge and may keep looking.  Here's a wheel attachment I found interesting.  No shop would be complete without one.....

WellsBrosLittleGiant1889Catalog_0031.jpg.18c20203e0fdd3547c5be1964f37c2a8.jpg