I Forge Iron

restore advice

Hail all Blacksmith! i have just bought an anvil for 450 that wight 375 pounds i'm in total shock i got it for that price i'm wondering if i should remove the paint to better ID this anvil. i am 90% Sure the paint is Not original... all i can make out is 375  but there are hint of  other letters above it. if so i would do it with ether paint remover of light wire brushing. the hammer on the anvil is a 3.3lbs Peddinghaus for reference... from everything i can tell its likely not a peter wright it seems to be in American weight  standard i have never seen an anvil like this. please if anyone can id the brand or give me some sort of clue as to where it might have been made i would greatly appreciate it. Danke Schön T.Hess

From his weapons on the open road, no man should step one pace away.

-Norse saying

IMG_5595.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

Welcome aboard T. Glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

How much does it weigh? A bathroom scale should do it, the new ones go to 450 now days. Naw, not a Soderfors, it's not cast and Soderfors cast their name proud. It's has an awfully thick waist for one, though I do admit to not being very familiar with Soderfors over 250lbs.

Frosty The Lucky.

It weight as much as mjölnir ! haha  from what ican tell i should weigh 375lbs but yeah I should get I weighed in Live in salinas California an inherently hard place to find blacksmithing paraphernalia but I've made a few connections ..thanks all for the help I'll keep you all updated on the restore ..just wanted some IFI advice  before I did any thing to it. Danke 

T.Hess