I Forge Iron

Vintage Collins Boy Scout axe blade angle

Picked up a vintage Collins Boy Scout Axe at a flea market. It was in bad condition but I got it cleaned up. I now need to sharpen it, and put a handle on it.  I ground out a few nicks that were in the blade. My question is the blade angle would 35 degrees be good all around angle?  How sharp should it be for a camping Axe? I was thinking going to 220 grit. Any idea on what the origanal handle length was?  

Going to teach my 9 year old son how to use it, and give it to him when he's a Boy Scout. 

Thanks, Jacob 

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

Edited by Jacob Nothstine

I look at several Scout web pages and could not fine anything, I think I'm over thinking this. Most of my smaller axe (hatchets) are single bevel for woodworking or large axe for splitting. Going to go with a 35 degree angle, I check on the angle of some of the higher end smaller axe and they are 30 - 35 degree.   

Thanks, Jacob   

Double bevel a hatchet or woods axe! A single bevel WILL glance if it's used the wrong direction and you do NOT want an axe that glances easily. Kids will be using it and some WILL be left handed. It ain't for cabinetry it's for: felling, limbing, splitting kindling, throwing at targets if no adult is watching.

Just a basic draw filed convex edge is right though stone honing will result in a longer lasting edge. Yes, you're over thinking things, it's a Boy Scout axe, not a wall hanger for the Louvre. Don't forget to give the lad a 4" draw file and a palm stone to maintain it. A whet stone can be used in the field with a little spit where an oil stone needs oil he might not have in the field.

The draw file and round stone came with my official Boy Scout hatchet set. It was 1st. prize for the log lift contest at a Camparee. Throw a rope over a tree limb, tie one end to a branch with a timber hitch then hoist the branch and make it fast to a stake with a double half hitch. I was the fastest scout at the Camparee. It's cool how some things really bring back memories ain't it. I can still see the double half hitch holding like it should and cheers from my troop. I didn't have to cook breakfast for the rest of the weekend. <VBG>

Frosty The Lucky.

The bevel angel depends on what you a cutting, more bevel for hardwoods and a longer thin bevel for softwoods because the wood will want to close up on it and it will still penetrate deeply. But for a scout/general purpose hatchet somewhere in the middle to balance edge durability and cutting ability. Mine are always razor sharp but require a lot of quick touch ups to maintain it thinner bevel will chip easier.  Doesn't need to be scary sharp but it helps reduce the chance of glancing off.