I Forge Iron

Blackwolfe

I bought my first forge the other day at the highway 127 yard sale for $50. I was told that it was called a bellows forge or a rivet forge. The only markings I found on it is on the side of the pan it says No. 77 Mohawk. It is missing the bellows aka the blower, arm, and grate. I would like to learn more about this forge the only thing I could find is an ebay listing for one very similar if no the same.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

ebay link removed

I plan on making it operation but I am unsure whether I should update it to an electric blower or make it as close to original as possible by building my own bellows.

large.IMAG0713.jpg.b83307f1d62be07005270large.IMAG0710.jpg.51b4288d943bbc55b35f3large.IMAG0709.jpg.3fb0fe86371b5deb701ealarge.IMAG0708.jpg.2650da9f410aa8533b13blarge.IMAG0707.jpg.f79c3ebc1f53c5c92dbadlarge.IMAG0706.jpg.21f4d1119fc1184bd851d

large.IMAG0714.jpg.3668bb3e40242f1d7af42

Edited by Blackwolfe

Greetings Graywolfe,

A little work freeing it up and a new belt and it will work just fine for what you need to do. I have watched many demos from professional smiths with forges just like yours..  You will do just fine.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

fe,

A little work freeing it up and a new belt and it will work just fine for what you need to do. I have watched many demos from professional smiths with forges just like yours..  You will do just fine.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I tried to turn all the bolts and gears and to my surprise all of them turned except for on the bottom of the fire pot. They looked too far gone to mess with. I just might end up cutting them out with a torch.

?After reading up on these forges I have decided to line it. But first i am going paint and find the blower for it