I Forge Iron

Help getting started

scottyp74

I bet there is tones of stuff on here about my question. I have been reading into getting started in black smithing well maily blade smithing. ther eis so much info out there it is very hard to understand it all. my question is what kind of fordge do i need to look into making? I have the metereials to my a charcoal forge and i am leaning to that kind. Can i get a charcoal fogre hpt enough to forge weld and what not. also what is the cheapest way for me to make a refactory to put in the charcoal forge?

Coal was not used in blacksmithing till several centuries after the first big hay day of pattern welded swords in Europe; charcoal is still used to this day for the forge welding of Japanese swords  However it sure works better in a forge designed for charcoal use than trying to use it in a forge designed for coal.  Cheapest refractory?  Clay dug out of a creek bed.  Note that starting out trying to make pattern welded blades will probably slow you down from actually making them compared with learning how to forge first and then starting on bladesmithing.  Think about trying to learn snow skiing by starting out on the expert slopes---all that hospital and recovery time would sure slow down your learning curve...