I Forge Iron

New to forum and to blacksmith

remist17

I have read several books and looked a little on this site. It is my understanding there are many forge plans and layouts out there. There are also many plans posted by people that know nothing about metal or forge making. This will be a hobby of mine and to be able to make things for around the farm. My question to this forum what design forge lends itself to lower startup cost and ease of operation for a new person. In my head I see a charcoal grill with a 2” pipe running horizontal and attaching a multispeed blower to it. I actually have a hotwater heater vent blower I plan on using. In my head I see the pipe being off the ground a few inches off the bottom. I would use some dirt/ash mix to lay in around the pipe or use something similar. Not sure if I am thinking right or way off the path. Please lend me some help and I know there are post out there on the forum but I am not sure which one is right / correct for me.

Thanks

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. REALLY GLAD!

What you envision will work very well at minimal cost. A blow drier will work even better and you won't have to worry about speed control, just set it up so you can aim it away from the pipe end a little at a time. A side blast charcoal forge like you describe has been in use since humans started beating copper, it's as good today as it was thousands of years ago.

I'm really glad you picked today to say hi, I needed to hear from someone with some basic hands on skills asking a sensible question. Thank you sir, I feel MUCH better now. B)

Frosty the Lucky.

hello and welcome

It's a bit short on notice, but you may find the next PABA meeting to be of interest.

11659276_804529076311674_4975593163415397765_n.jpg

Stupid "forbidden" message again...

lets try #2. They usually have several teaching stations set up as well as demos at this meeting. They also usually have some people who have stuff they are interested in selling, so it's often a good place to pick up tools and so on as well as info. All the guys are really happy to pass on info and help to new guys who are learning. It shouldn't be too far from where you live most likely.

As far as your forge, I don't know if you plan to use coal or charcoal for your fuel. Weaverland Coal in Lancaster sells decent blacksmithing coal as opposed to hard anthracite heating coal many others sell. It will be a big help in making it easier on you to start.

WOW thanks everyone. I live about 1 1/2 south west of the site. Not to bad if I can get away from the kids this weekend. Is there anymore coming up?

So now that I know my design in my head is at least accurate. The parts I was thinking of getting. Small charcoal grill from lowes. They have them on sale for $25 and they are on a stand already. Lowes has 1" black pipe and cap. Drill holes in the pipe, size hopefully advised here.  I was thinking to drill two 1" holes 180degrees from each other to fit the pipe. I have read this can be from 1" to 5" from the bottom. Any recommendations?  Fill in around the pipe and make a valley with the dirt/clay/ash mix. I read 50% ash to 50% dirt/clay. Let this harden in the sun. Run a tube from the pipe to the hair dry (thank you wife). Sourcing the coal from Lancaster is a doable drive. Am I on the right path>?

I built a bottom draft style coal forge for mine, so I'll leave the info on side draft forges to others who are more knowledgeable. Grill, I'd simply keep my eyes open on trash days for someone pitching an old one, assuming you can beat the scrap guys to them when they are out on the curb... I weld, so mine is all done in steel. I'd point you to my build thread here, but the picts aren't working yet after the last site upgrade. If you want, I can PM you a link to another site where I did the write up on my build, but it's not going to be like what you are thinking.

Bring the kids, this meeting is set up to deal with them better than most. It would limit your time at the meeting as most likely they won't sit still forever if they are like most small children. Meetings are every other month, and the location changes.

Here's PABA's Facebook page. It lists the next meeting in October. and the website that they have. There are a number of PABA members here. I'm not sure yet if I'll be attending or not. Alternator on the truck went up yesterday and the mechanic can't get to it until Friday because they are swamped. If I get the stuff done at the shore that was yesterdays job after they fix the truck, I might manage to make it. If not I'm headed to the shore to get a floor ready for the refinishers next Monday.

https://www.facebook.com/PABlacksmiths

http://www.pabasite.org/

stupid forbidden message...

https://www.google.com/search?q=iforgeiron+55+gallon+forge&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

iforgeiron.com/index2.html/blueprints/100-series/bp0238-simple-side-blast-55-forge-r184/

iforgeiron.com/index2.html/blueprints/100-series/bp0133-the-55-forge-r183/

Add www. to the above. trying to get around the "forbidden message I keep getting. Those should be both the 55 gallon forge blueprints.

For some reason I can edit some times and not others.

Edited by DSW

Welcome abourd, dont over think a side blast forge, we have some brits thet use them regularly (and a few of us yanks) a fairly resemt post in solid fuel forges, somthing like " another new portable forge or some such. Any way nice small simple side blast and a wonderful illistration of the fire all cut away. Read up. You are on the right track. I do suggest a sand table or a hole in the ground to expirent with to work out the particulars of your air suply and fuel. This can efect how deap your tuyeer will be 

A side blast forge is MUCH easier to make and use with charcoal than a bottom blast. Keep it simple, you'll have plenty of time to refine your tools and equipment once you use it for a while.

Frosty the Lucky.