I Forge Iron

simple tool rack

Here is a simple tool rack made from an old gas grill base.I ripped the wood planks down so hammer handles could fit between them,added some 1/2in sq tube for bracing and welded the grill in the center for a place to put hot tools,brushes etc;.As you can see it holds a pretty decent amount of tools and just about anyone with a welder could pull this project off,so i thought id post it here.

deer tool rack 242.JPG

deer tool rack 241.JPG

deer tool rack 240.JPG

deer tool rack 239.JPG

deer tool rack 238.JPG

deer tool rack 235.JPG

Nice selection of tooling you have there. Only issue I've had repurposing grill stands is that they really need reinforcement because without the grill, they are way too flimsy. Some simple braces or some sheet for shear walls solves that problem. You don't even really need to weld. I've made quick work site tables from old grill stands using plywood and some self tappers. I really didn't need much to keep the legs from wracking. I think something like a 3" wide  scrap of 1/2" plywood attached to the legs on each side stiffened it up enormously.

Thanks,I was pretty surprised at how much weight it held in the end.I think it must be thicker wall sq tube than most grill stands,as i mentioned i added 1/2in sq tube for bracing just for safetys sake (theres about 40-50 lbs of hammers just on the one end) :o

Edited by odblacksmith

to add to this topic I've posted i will mention it is complete and in my shop.it made the whole 50ft trip to my "smithy" from my garage which includes a 4-5inch drop from concrete to dirt/grass and all in all im happy with it.we didn't use the grill because it was propane and i prefer wood/charcoal BBQ!We use a small hibachi type grill which is perfect for 2-3 people.this is a regular grill but i used 1/2in sq tube to reinforce it and keep it from buckling,the only thing i can see failing is the wheels(if you roll it around a lot).right now there has to be 90-100 lbs on it in hammer,hardies,tongs and top tools etc;

T.P gonna come up with something for the wheels...eventually

swede,its the ride of a lifetime

Kevin...we all need more hammers

If you're off roading your rack keep an eye open for a child's bicycle with wheels in the 10"-18" diameter range, solid rubber being preferable. They have good bearings and will support plenty of weight for what I see on your rack so long as you don't pull it across the lawn much faster than 20 mph.

Larger wheels roll over uneven ground with a lot less effort and make a more stable rack. You can mount the axles high enough the rack stands on 4 solid legs until you tip it back.

I don't usually say this to a guy so don't take me wrong but that's a nice rack you have there OD. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.