I Forge Iron

Hi All,

I'm thinking about starting here ---- I've looked through the forums and am highly inundated with information. (which I presume is a good thing)

For a beginner, if I wanted to purchase anvils and blacksmithing tools --- are there any particular brands that stand out?

I'm looking for basics now but power tools in the next few years.

Any suggestions help, thanks!

Hello Ecra. As far as anvils go, there are many good brands, most of which are out of production. I'll list my favorites along with SOME of the most common good ones.

My favorite is Hay Budden. I have 4 anvils, including an HB and everyone that I have ever seen whether in pictures or real life are still in good condition even though they have been out of production since the 1920's. My second favorite are Mousehole Forge anvils because they are thick waisted.

A few of the most common (to me, depends where you're at) good ones in addition to the 2 I mentioned are Peter Wright, Fisher, Trenton, Arm and Hammer, Soderfors, Nimba, Rathole Forge, Peddinghaus. The last 3 are the only ones I've mentioned that are still in production.

if you're looking to keep the noise level down Fisher will probably be the quietest. If you like a loud ring as some people do, Trentons ring pretty loud.

Many more, these are just some of the most common good ones. Very important though to read about and learn to rebound test.

don't get caught up on 'name brands' just find a decent anvil, doesn't matter what name it's got on it, in fact, lots of good anvils have no names.  Can use a large lump of tool steel as an anvil. Find a blacksmith near you to help you. 

For a beginner, I'd be more worried about things to stay away from.

Usually just about anything past a certain minimum is fine for a beginner. Avoid wasting money on things like cheap china anvil shaped objects. Even anvils with serious damage are worth looking at, IF the price is right. A few years back I looked at an anvil that was missing about 1/2 it's top plate. I chose to pass because of price. If they had wanted $25 or $50 for it, It probably would have come home with me and made a perfectly suitable "starter" anvil. Also don't go overboard spending money on big names. $1500 for a perfect Hay Budden might be a good value depending on size and condition, but it may be a poor choice for someone just starting out. You might be better served spending $250 on a lower quality anvil with a few blemishes and spend the rest on stock to forge or other tools.

The easiest found brands of decent using anvils really depends on WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU IN? Unless you are willing to pay for international shipping and buying an anvil without onsite inspection...

Most folks here add it into their profile so they don't have to remember to add it in to any post that has a location specific question.  Don't need your street address just a general idea.  

If you lived in the USA I would suggest you try to ILL "Anvils in America", Postman from your local public library to get an overview of many anvils.  If you are in the UK or Australia some of the anvils listed in Anvils in America made it out there too; particularly the English made ones.

Good Morning, Ecra,

Where is it that you are making a shadow? Enter your information in your Avatar. You would be surprised how many Smith's will be somewhat near you.

What colour would you like your Anvil? How long would you like your Hammer Handle? If you aim for the eye of a Bee, which one do you aim for??

All good questions, like your question.

Neil

Most of the tools you'll need will be ones that you will make, or conveniently realize you bought last month at a yard sale.

Notable exceptions would be your Anvil (could be any heavy flat-bottomed lump of steel), your first hammer (hard to make a hammer without a hammer), and a vise (not the easiest to make.)  Of those 3 things, I wouldn't worry about brands, as long as your anvil isn't an ASO (Anvil Shaped Object - made of cheap cast iron).  Don't use a claw hammer, they are dangerous around a forge.

Old used tools are not always *good* ones.  100 years ago places like Sears sold rebranded Hay Budens down to cast iron ASOs. *BUT*  age is a sorting factor; most cheap junk tools broke and were scrapped and so the ones that come down to our times tend to be a better grade on the average than back when they were first used. Sometimes however you run into the one that was so useless it was tossed under the bench and sat there for 80 years and then sold as a top notch antique tool...