I Forge Iron

Danger? Fire turns green when metal is heated.

I'm starting with blacksmithing , so i went to a junk yard and i bought a giant screw, so i was trying to do something, but when i put it on fire, it became somewhat green and it's fire was green. There is a chance that it has zinc, or something like that? And it's dangerous?

Sorry about my english, i'm brazilian.

Dont wory about your English, the Englishmen think we Americans have done terable things with their language. Add to that my terrable spelling and typing I bet falks will understand you much better than me ;-)

most bolts have coating for the ones with a golden color most folks dont worry much in a well ventilated shop, when in doubt dump it in a bottle of vinigar for a week (makes a nice black woodstain too). 

Dont quot me on this but last time I put copper in the forge I got Grean flames...

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

Welcome aboard Gui, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Your English is fine, better than a lot of the guys with it as a first language. We're blacksmiths not English teachers. Well, I'm sure there are a couple English teachers out there but nobody is checking our posts for spelling and grammar.

Green could certainly be zinc, copper alloys tend to make blue flames. Was there any white lacy smoke? How did you feel later that day? While it's not so toxic you have to run away it's sure not something to breath much of. Zinc is also not a heavy metal and will be metabolized and flush from your system as long as it isn't a large dose. Just stay out of the smoke and avoid heating it.

What color was the screw when you put it in the fire? If it was sort of ash gray or shiny silver with a pattern to it like a pail it was almost certainly galvanized and not something to put in a fire. Chrome plating can be very toxic hexavalent chrome is a strong carcinogen and cadmium plated, (gold like jewelry) is VERY toxic. Until you know your scrap better, rusty is much safer than shiny.

Frosty The Lucky.

The screw was full of rust, black rust, and after 5 minutes that i removed it from the fire, it became white and green, it was a oxide or a salt. It was today, about 2 hours ago, and i'm fine, without health problems. The charcoal was somewhat green too.

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

Green generally is copper in a flame. Copper salts don't play well in black smith forges. 

Looks like a hardware bolt from a power pole. Most deffinantly Zink plated (hot diped galvinised. The wite stuff is probbably zinkoxid. Need to give it a long soke in vinigar or use it as a bolt or stake. I have a bunch of them from the last icestorm. 

I like the idea of using it for a non blacksmithing application.

Yeah, the white duff looks like zinc oxide. The black was probably creosote from the power pole, we used to see it on guardrail bolts used on the old creosoted posts. Use it for a bolt and you're golden, forging it is more trouble than it's worth.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's zinc oxide on the bolt for sure. Pretty heavy gal by the look of it too. I'm surprised you haven't at least got the mother of all headaches if you breathed any of that in. 

No rust, don't trust!

• 3 weeks later...