I Forge Iron

Forged wine rack

DSW

Last week I took another Blacksmithing class over at Bryn Athyn College with Warren Holzman. This year I wanted to work on a wine rack to give as a wedding present/ thank you to the gentleman who gave me my big anvil last year. A few picts of the tooling made for forging the collar material down from 1/4" round stock, and collaring the 3/8" rings as well as texturing the bark on the "vines" and doing the leaves.

My original plan didn't call for quite as much detail on the vines and leaves, but I'm glad I took the time to do them this way. I'm happy the way it all turned out.

Yes there is a collar missing. We didn't notice it right away. I plan to deal with that and maybe add another leaf or tendril down at the botton of the one side where it's a bit light before giving it a wipe on urethane coating. When done I'll post a few picts with bottles installed.

When I do my next one, I think I'll make another die for my bender. The 4" one isn't quite big enough for some of the bigger bottles with the collars installed. Instead of 4" ID on the rings, I think I'll try for 4-1/2", My 5" die seems a bit too large in scale for this.

DSCN4881a.JPG

DSCN4882a.JPG

DSCN4880a.JPG

DSCN4836a.JPG

DSCN4838a.JPG

DSCN4830a.JPG

DSCN4827a.JPG

DSCN4823a.JPG

DSCN4821a.JPG

DSCN4819a.JPG

Great work. I'm sure your anvil donor will be thrilled to receive it.

The metal looks very bright - stainless? It seems to have a wrought iron texture.

Collars look good. I need to learn how to do them.

Arkie: Between this site giving me forbidden messages and my weak wireless signal with the new internet provider, it's been a pain posting anything.

Ausfire: Everything is mild steel that I wire brushed with the power wheel to remove the scale. The "wrought iron" texture comes from the die shown in the 3rd pict from the bottom. I used that to texture the stock for the vines. It's simply a piece of mild that I swaged a 1/2" groove in, then ran a pair of cold tig beads down the center to create the texture.

The collars weren't all that hard. The bottom pict shows the die I used to make the 3/8" x 3/32" flat stock from some 1/4" round. The one above shows the collar stock about to be stamped in the lower die. The punch is made of of 2 scrap pieces of ring material welded together like the actual rings. Then the rings are set in the die over the stamped collar and driven down again with that punch so it fully seats. Then I just hammer the ends over. All of this is done cold. From what I understand, bigger collars are done very similarly, but done hot. I'll try to remember to get some process picts when I add in that missing collar later this week. ( assuming the site will let me post, and I can manage to stay on line long enough to accomplish this.....)

OK some body tell me why it tells me I'm forbidden to post... then tells me that I can't edit the one post it will let me make because it's been too long since I posted maybe a minute before, then when I make my next post, it automatically merges the two posts.... It's a family site, so I won't describe what I'd like to do to the software designers.. It does involve fire ants, syrup and a shovel for starters....

That's a very nice rack it'll be a big hit. I was also taken with the tooling, I really like the texturing die and am kicking myself for not thinking of it myself. I have an old tin knocker's hammer I like for texturing leaves myself though it's lighter than yours and takes some dedication.

Thanks for the pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Arkie: Between this site giving me forbidden messages and my weak wireless signal with the new internet provider, it's been a pain posting anything.

. It's a family site, so I won't describe what I'd like to do to the software designers.. It does involve fire ants, syrup and a shovel for starters....

I like that. Very frustrating to be sure. Why is it only this site that has these problems?  I'm an admin on a grammar/spelling site and we NEVER have this sort of rubbish going on. I don't know the contract arrangements but isn't it time a new provider was brought in? A business wouldn't put up with this.:unsure: