I Forge Iron

Time to say hello

Been lurking in the background for awhile taking in all the great info in this place.. A lot of great talent coming out of here. I am no where near that but with what I find here it gets better daily. Thanks.

A little about me.. 55 yr, been a millwright/electrician for 35 yrs. Always had my hands in welding and repairs. Have always been somewhat of an artist in various areas but not enough time to get serious about metal art. Time to change that.

Here are a few of my first projects... mostly done because of what I have found here and a couple other forums.... thanks again.

Brad

4367.attach

4368.attach

4369.attach

4370.attach

4371.attach

eburgblue,
Welcome to I Forge Iron.
You could have fooled me when you said "Have always been somewhat of an artist in various areas but not enough time to get serious about metal art. Time to change that".
I don't know about your time, but I do believe you when you said you are somewhat of an artist. Your work looks to me like you are pretty serious about your art. You have some very nice looking work.
I am sure you will fit right in to the fray.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

Thanks for the comment folks. I hope to (and will) learn a lot more on the forum. This blacksmithing is new to me. I haven't forged anything since I was 16 yo in ag. class back in high school. I am having a ball doing this now. I don't have a forge yet. Just using my OA torch but hope to buy or build one soon.

I have several gas overhead heaters (3 and 4 burner). Hoping I can build a decent forge using one of these. I have stripped one done and fired it up on my bench. Seems to work good. Originally they run on 1/2 psi and say 45,000 btu. By increasing the gas pressure I should be able to raise the btu quite a bit. I have heated a piece of metal to forging temp just by holding it in front of one of the burners. Any ideas as to what I would end up with by a pressure/volume increase? I don't know the formula.

Thanks