I Forge Iron

Champion Model H leather cutter.

I saw this old leather cutting machine at an antique shop around 2 weeks ago and a quick Google search showed one for sale on Craigslist and eBay for $400. I realize that is the asking price and doesn't mean it sold for that price but the poster also said similar ones sell for $550-$800. 

Well I bought it for WAY cheaper than $400 figuring that I could probably double my investment pretty easily, even if I just sold it for $200. But now I'm wondering if I should keep it.

Maybe I could make nice sheaths or holsters or who knows what with it. Does anybody know anything about this machine? It's a Champion Model H. Everything turns fine on it. 

I don't have a lot of extra space in my garage for something I couldn't really use and I want to buy or make a small forging press eventually.

Any thoughts or info appreciated.IMG_20150706_204914.thumb.jpg.7eeb5dacefIMG_20150706_204923.thumb.jpg.8ee1f1388eIMG_20150706_205030.thumb.jpg.ef3b94c1f6IMG_20150706_205012.thumb.jpg.9bcdd86f8e

It appears to be a splitter, which uses a planer type blade to shave leather to thinner dimensions.  Kind of a specialty tool!  Pros sometimes have several but for most hobbyists they'd hardly know what to do with such a thing!  My advice is to sell it!  If you need to ask what it is you are FAR from ready to need it!

I had an old Progressive brand leather cutter with the cutting wheels on the end, similar to the one pictured. However, it did not have the machinery on top as yours does. Bigfoot may be correct that it is also a splitter, making it a combination tool. The cutter was designed for thick leather such as sole or belt leather. I used mine often for cutting horseshoe pads, the pad being between the shoe and the hoof.

If your planning on getting into leather work itisnt a bad tool to have, spliting is usefull when one ends up with cow or bull hides insted of steer hide as steer hide is much more consistant in thickness. And a trimmer is usefull for trimming the thick edges of a sheath. 

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

Thank you guys, for the replies. I have seen it described as a combination splitter/cutter. I see your point Bigfootnampa. I did buy it hoping to sell it and double my profit to reinvest in something I could use. But I just wonder if it's worth it to me to learn how to use it. I'd hate to later on be in a position where I'm making a sheath or something and wish I had kept it because it does sound useful. But I'm running out of space in my garage!

I see Charles is prepping for another estate sale to go to.

That devious, huh? Lol

A while back my wife says to me that she wants to try a new hobby. I suggest leather working to her, thinking that one day when I start making nice knives she can make the sheaths.

So I buy her a starter kit, leather dye, deluxe mallet, a few bellies and a few other things from Tandy to get her started. 

So she starts to watch the tutorials on Tandy's website and thinks it's neat but after trying it a while she loses interest. Maybe after I "donate" this machine to her hobby she'll have no choice but to accept it.

Finding the spousal unit something for her hobby is a good PR move IF it doesn't infringe on what little free space her hobbies leave in the house. Garage saling a couple years ago I spotted a spinning wheel tucked into a corner of the driveway by the garage door. Pointed it out to Deb and after literally putting my hand on it so she'd know what I was talking about we scored a Lundrum wheel in really nice condition for $50 and the gal wouldn't sell it to us if we didn't take a SUV stuffed full of processed wool too.

I can still call that one in as a marker if I need it. :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for her to return the favor with a nice Soderfors anvil but . . . :unsure:

Frosty The Lucky.

• 6 years later...