I Forge Iron

Trenton Anvil age??

It's not nice to ask a lady her age Moonpipe.  Uh why not but . . . Moonpipe? Gotta be a story there. ;)

The picture looks like she's missing a big piece of face, the way the edges look curled it's gone to the wrought body. That means some serious work to bring her to working condition. She's pretty much out of fight as is.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I know the face is bout gone. :( Gettin' it repaired even as we speak... "Moonpipe"... I picked that name 'cause I'm working a catlinite pipe bowl and I inlaid it with a Moon!  OH! now that I look at it again, it IS an "A"! Duh, :P

Edited by Moonpipe

They're gonna build up the missing bit and mill it off even with the existing face.

Have they refaced anvils before? Many a machine shop has bitten off more than they can chew with anvils and ended up doing more damage than good. However, the damage to that old lady kind of makes it hard to hurt her worse.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh and about the pipe, I haven't got the pewter sanded of yet so you can't see the moon. But that is what I carved into it, hope it comes out o.k. I'll post pics of it when I get it done.

Sounds good, I'll be watching for the pics. A nice pic would make you a nice Avatar and nobody would have to ask about the handle.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the date Frozenforge!  And Frosty; the guy at the machine shop is a blacksmith and has repaired anvils before. I only know it will be light years better than the track anvil I have now!

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of that fine old Lady after her makeover!

Next time you see the fellow doing the repair why we're concerned. I'll bet he's heard the horror stories coming out of well meaning machine shops. I wouldn't mind hearing a rundown of his method either.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 years later...

Welcome aboard Jim... I always suggest this thread to help get the best out of the forum and in staying off the moderators radar. READ THIS FIRST 

I'm sure someone with a copy of AIA will be along to let you know about when it was made. Do you have any pictures? We love pictures and sometimes markings lend a clue to age.