I Forge Iron

Restoring old anvil

I started with a DCM M-14 but it  wasn't completive at 600 so found a M-70 in 308 which I had rebuilt with new barrel and a Jimmy Cloward stock out of Oregon & new trigger.  I shot a couple times at  Quantico in the mid 70's.  I had been stationed at Frt. Belvoir VA in the 60s and had shot there once on an Army team.  Shot at Camp Perry 8 yrs in 70's.and all over New England and NY state.   I shot 26 yrs twice a week for 4 months in the winter on a small bore team, then went outdoors highpower for 3 months and then Trap shooting for 3 months.  I was either shooting, practicing or reloading or traveling and you are right burned out but then my son started shooting for a few yrs and I kept going.  I made master but not high I didn't care by then.  Enjoyed 1000 yrd mostly at the  end.  I shoot mostly handguns  now and still hunt in the fall with a 25/08 custom. We recently discovered after all the shooting and matches we never took pictures real sorry about that.  My friends I traveled with were on the Palma Team for many years and our gunsmith was the Palma coach.  Nice set of horns. 

Edited by notownkid

Small world. Lived in Fort Hunt Va just down the road from Ft Belvoir  in 75-80 when dad was stationed in Crystal city and again in 86-87 when we moved back. High school small bore team shot at the base. I went once to watch and got a bit intimidated by all the gear involved. Wish I'd gone ahead and shot back then.

Some where I used to have a pict from out at Camp Perry. Most of us all shot .308, but one guy shot 30-06 with his M1 Garand. He had to draw a DCM M14 for the team matches so we would all use the same ammo. Amazingly the two rifles were both Springfield Armory and had matching serial numbers! One an M1 grand, and one an M14. We joked he should turn in the Garand because they'd probably think someone simply checked the wrong box since armory and serial numbers matched.

Maybe we need a good shooting thread in Everything Else... I bet there are a ton here who shoot.