I Forge Iron

Post Vice - Available in WA?

ThorsHammer82

Stan - for the many many times one uses a leg vice (I paid$160 for a 5-1/2") when you divide the cost by the amount of times you use it - even over only a few years,......it ends up being one of the cheapest purchases a blacksmith makes, as every time you use it, it may make you some money to offset the original purchase price even if you think you paid to much for it.

Price is dictated by size and condition. $80 is very reasonable if it's in working condition. But we see guys from the east coast that pick them up from a scrap yard or garage sale in working condition for $20 or less. I haven't been able to find one within driving distance for less than $150 and most of the ones I've seen have been 300+ miles away for that plus shipping.

ThorsHammer82 - Yes it can be a lot of $ in your area but once you have it - you have something that can make you money - get one and use it then upgrade as you see fit. Blacksmithing is a hobby but can make you some money to pay for the tools that you make "or " buy.

Check farm sales check trade days and penny saver type advertising I found my two at flea markets. They can be found just keep your ear to the ground and keep looking and asking.  Good things come to those who seek . We all have to do the same thing believe it or not.

I appreciate the encouragement guys. And I will keep searching. As I've got a project that I can't do until I have a vise I can beat on.

I've got a large acme screw that was used for a house jack, and wouldn't be apposed to make my own if I had too. Does anyone know if anyone has forged their own? or are they all welded together alternatives? I'm not against welding it as welding was what brought be to Smithing but I wouldn't be apposed to forging one either if I can find the right materials.

Work in Olympia, and live in Shelton. But I go all over the western side of the state for different things. I'll be in Lake Tapps for the 4th, And I go up to Crystal Mountain on a regular basis. So Auburn isn't a hard drive for me if I can add it onto a trip headed close to that direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not afraid of a project to get it working. Biggest concern is keeping initial cost low. PM me if you come across anything.

Edited by ThorsHammer82

This weekend, June 26,27, 28 is the Brooks swap meet in Brooks, OR just south of Portland. I can just about guarantee there will be post vises there. I have picked up several over the years, along with lots of other old tools and gas engine goodies. It's not in your backyard, but still an easy drive for a good swap meet.

Brian

I wish I could this weekend. But I've got a mud run Saturday, and my kids birthday on Sunday. Otherwise I'd gladly make that trip. Do you have a link to good events calander for things like that? I'd love to be able to plan ahead for something like that.

It looks like I've found exactly what I need thanks to this forum. Thank you Monstermetal for your generous offer. This Forum ROCKS!

Yeah, it's all pretty darned hard to come by. This is the worst fire season since 04 and the next worse was something like the 50's IIRC.

Temps down and we're expecting rain over the next few days, hopefully it'll knock the danger and fires down. Then again it seems fire and hot shot crews from all over the lower 48 and Canada are here so they're making good progress on the 300 fires burning. <sigh>

Don't worry, we'll let them come home to fight the ones going there. Heck, they're probably already on the job there.

Frosty The Lucky.