I Forge Iron

grinder lock button

FRODO,

I have a porter cable that did the same thing to me. Even though I found a way to access the gear box I still couldn't fix it. Mine has a metal rod about 3/16 round that's bent over almost like someone tried to stop the spinning using the lock. I have a cut off wheel loaded at the time so I was able to just break it off enough to get to the screws. I'd suggest using one of those bent screwdrivers to get in under the wire and maybe you can get the screws that way.

In some cases I've been able to reach between the wheel nut and the body with a pair of slip joint pliers and grab the shaft hard enough to undo the wheel with a wrench. You need to be careful not to damage the shaft if you go this route.

darn,,,,me and this grinder go WAAAAAY back...i rescued it out on a tool box ful of water, tore it apart and hand sanded the armature

it has been running with no problems for neigh on 15 years

think i can grind the jaws of some vice grips thin enough to lock on between housing and nut?  like DSW has suggested with plyers? 

FRODO, that is exactly what I have done. I ground down the jaws on a set of flea market slip joint pliers, and a set of vise grips to about 3/16" thick. Between the two of them, you can grab the shank with one, and the nut with the other to get any stuck brush off.

I seems that a student comes to me with this problem at least once a week.

I'd spray the wheel connector with a bit of good penetrating oil, let sit and then put a wrench on the wheel nut and tap it with a mallet to try to use the inertia of the armature to break it free.  So a bunch of sharp taps and putting the wrench back on.

Ditto Thomas. Idjits damaging the lock pin wasn't uncommon at the state drill shop. Just put the wrench on the nut head and tap it with a hammer or turn it and use the bench top to bounce it against, the motors are pretty massive and will bump the disk free. This used to be the standard practice with drill shop grinders, you get good at it after a while.

Do NOT put anti seize on the threads before putting a new disk on it! Intuitively it sounds like a good way to make breaking it loose easier next time but what it really does is cause the nut to get so tight you'll either never get it off again or it'll strip the threads.

Frosty The Lucky.

Or, take another grinder and grind some flats inside so a spanner wrench will fit. You can always grind down an open end to fit inside..

Might have to take a hammer and break the wheel that is stuck on so you have access to perform the grining of the flats.

Edited by superflux

Looks like it's time to replace that one. I know you said the two of you have been through a lot but am sure others on here will agree there comes a time even your favorite horse has to be put down.

Maybe. maybe not. I'd look 1st and just see what the damaged gear and pin will run you. I'd much rather sink $50-60 into a solid older tool than buy one of the cheaper newer ones for the same money. My old made in the USA Dewalts are brutes, but I know a lot of guys who don't get a year out of the newer ones from Depot/Lowes and they don't abuse them any where near the way I do mine. Same goes for the Hitachi's, Makita's and so on they have bought as replacements.

If I was going to get a new grinder, it would probably be one of the industrial grade Metabos.

DSW, you have a point that I didn't consider. I bought a bostitch (I think) and less than a month later it broke, I took it back and got a new one and again a month later it broke. After that I bought another different brand this time I got three months before it broke. I'd love to have some good old hard workin tools but don't ever see them for sale around here. People know better than to get rid of them lol.

i checked prices for a new housing,  the lock button is not replaceable,,have to replace the housing

http://screencast.com/t/5EoIeGtfvLv

those parts new are more than the unit was new,,,,  no way....

i think i will pack if full of grease,put the wire wheel on it.  and use it

scour the local pawn shop for a broke  wore out one

and get the housing,,  off of one that i find,,glad i have 2,

The old style Metabos are ok but the new style is bulky and uncomfortable to me. We've been using Metabo for years at work and the last few years they wont warranty any of our grinder and they haven't been holding up very well at all. We switched to Dewalt 10 amp and they have held up a lot better.