I Forge Iron

Tong suggestions

Michael Cochran

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't feel bad, M.  Contrary to popular opinion, tongs aren't a beginner project.  Good tongs (that fit the metal and are comfy in the hand) are as much a safety item in the shop as they are a tool.  Bad tongs allow metal to slip, but they also fatigue the smith and can cause him to tire fast and make mistakes.  Buying a set of quality tongs from a reputable maker will allow you to advance in the trade more than you might imagine.  There's just nothing like a set of tongs that fit snugly and feel good in the hand.

Step back and master those other projects.  The skills you learn there will allow you to make good tongs in a little bit.  

Nice tutorial and example about using White out as a welding resist. The other really good example for the guys wanting to make videos is his lighting. He made the common beginner's mistake of holding the subject up where HE could see it, not the camera. He kept back lighting the subject with the florescents or worse the open shop door.

For a good rule of thumb If you're looking at the camera lens you want to be looking at the lights too. If the lights are behind you all the camera will see is a silhouette.

Yeah, yeah I was a photographer in a past life.

Frosty The Lucky.

Vaughn, that's why I've moved on. I have other tongs I've bought and they work fine for round and square and one for flat. I just need some that hold flat better than what the one pair can and need more sizes for the others. I've moved to projects that require punching and different other techniques I can incorporate or adapt to tong making.

Frosty, he might not be good at filming but he makes some very good lookin blades. He's a pretty good guy and answered questions about his finishes some might try to call 'proprietary.'

btw for those who didn't recognize him, he's a judge on 'forged in fire.'

Frosty, he might not be good at filming but he makes some very good lookin blades. He's a pretty good guy and answered questions about his finishes some might try to call 'proprietary.'

btw for those who didn't recognize him, he's a judge on 'forged in fire.'

I was only trying to point out a video technique I think folk would find helpful. Now I'll have to take a closer look at the Judges on Forged in Fire.

Frosty The Lucky.

I get a little gun shy about how I come across sometimes and find myself relying on my friends here to let me know if I cross the line. I really need to stop emphasizing words, especially with caps.

Lighting is one of the toughest things to learn when learning photography so it's really common to see things back lit. Look how nice Stormcrow's recent knife photo is compared to the earlier ones. While the new background is better, the big improvement is diffuse lighting. A pro photographer is a good expenditure if you're in business. Of course taking a college extension course in photography is usually more than enough and they're fun, especially if you're shooting nudes in class. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Google "Sam Salvati tong making tutorial" Sam uses a technique that I used in this batch of tongs..Its starts with 3/8" thick x 1" wide if Im not mistaken but I jump welded the reigns on some of the tongs in this batch. I also want to agree with everyone else in that good tongs are not what I would call a "beginners" project..

101_0394_zps2ipcstkv.jpg

Edited by KYBOY

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd resurrect my dead thread instead of starting a new one just to show off a little. I finally managed to make a set of tongs start to finish and I see plenty of areas for improvement but still thought I'd share. I actually finished a set of blanks I showed earlier in the thread ignoring the stress crack/tear that has already started. I think I'll either hit it with the welder or braze it or silver solder it, just to close it up a little. I cleaned up the shape a little and drew out the reins some more and could probably go a little thinner if I really wanted. The rivet cooled on me much quicker than expected so I couldn't get it nearly as nice as i would like. Anyway here are a couple pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg