I Forge Iron

propane regulator off Amazon Prime?

mage2

Hey there, all the local places seem to be in love with the variable pressure propane regulators. So I am having to resort to amazon. 

I have found a few options. 

0-40 PSI or 0-30  psi from bayou classic. 

Any opinions, has anyone ordered a regulator off the interwebs? Care to share your success with everyone?

Thanks 

Tim 

Either of those variable pressure regulators is plenty for a naturally aspirated burner. I run 4ea. 3/4" burners off a 0-30psi regulator without problems. Were I to do it again, I'd go ahead and get the higher psi rating just in case.

Is the price that much better of the net? Are they comparable quality to what is carried in the local propane distributor's show room? Propane can turn the nicest home or shop into flying debris and a cheery fire if it gets loose. Saving a couple bucks isn't worth buying cheap components.

I'm not saying the brand you mentioned is of poor quality I'm saying it's well worth checking them out or just buying one of the big brands.

What kind of burner(s) are you making?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey there Frosty,

The cost locally is about double for the similar items. Also I can not find a 40psi regulator for anything local. 20-30 is about the best i can find round these parts

I am looking to make a naturally aspirated  3/4 T burner based on your design, so its great that you replied.

I have been using a propane benzomatic torch with a oversized "single brick forge" for my simple projects for years. It takes forever to heat up anything with any mass and does not reach forging temps. So that is what I am looking to change. That and running off a propane tank instead of a bottle will save me some dollars.

Thanks

Tim

I'm with Frosty on this one, considering what they are and do , it's amazing what kind of poo gets sold to the public often on the gas BBQ! When it comes to flammable gas regulators cheap and cheerful isn't the smartest route. 

Edited by ianinsa

I have used the 0-30 Bayou Classic regulator - it's not as sturdy as my main regulator, and it doesn't hold a gauge, but if you know how to tune a burner by ear and eye, it's sufficient for the task.  If I used it all the time, I'd regularly check it for leaks (soapy water is my friend).

J

Hey Jcornell, 

Thanks for replying, might i ask who made your main regulator?

I was planning on putting a gauge on the line so I am not too worried about if it as one or not. But if there is a better option, well that is what I am here for. 

Thanks everyone for input.

Tim

Okay, this is try three to reply to your last question. Don't bargain hunt, this is a safety critical piece of equipment. The one I've been using for something like 30 years hasn't leaked a wiff or had a problem even as cold as -30f. I wouldn't bet on it but I "Redhead" keeps coming to mind but I don't really remember the maker. I bought it at AIH a local industrial hardware chain. It cost me around $27.00 back then.

I Googled a bit and am finding similar quality regulators running 0-30psig going for around $38.00. 0-20psig were running much cheaper but that's the descriptive that struck me looking at them. CHEAP, maybe fine quality wise but not in the same class.

Ask yourself is $38.00 too much for a safety critical piece of equipment? A tool that will last several decades at  least? Oh, some of my gas gear is getting old, heck sometimes I have to tap the gauge with a fingernail to get it to follow as I lower pressure but it's as old as the regulator. Even the hose is close to that old call it 25 but it's still going strong. Heck, a 10' 3/8" propane hose cost more than any other single component and if I don't count the regulator the hose cost more than all the others put together.

Don't bargain hunt, this is too important and it'll last a long LONG time if you buy a good one. Seriously, if you're going to balk at a regulator what are you going to do about an anvil, a quality turning hammer runs over $100.00 and guys are thrilled when the back order list gets to theirs.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are the concept drawings of it posted in the gas forge section. Currently I'm redesigning it to be easier to make. That is the first design I lashed up but it works well enough. Search "T burner" or maybe "Frosty T burner".

It's not hard to make but you need to be as precise as possible. Getting the gas jet traveling as straight down the center of the tube is important.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey there Frosty. 

Its not cost that bothers me. its value. 

The ones I am seeing look at cheap as the ones i find on amazon. That is where my issue is.

I don't mind paying for good tools, because pay once, cry once works in my favor in the long run. 

That is why im searching for brand names with good reps. If i by the "cheap import" off amazon for $30 or the same cheap import from the local hardware store for $80. its the same trouble im in. 

So on the same topic. Is there any reason I could not use an acetylene regulator? I have a extra victor. 

Thanks again

Tim 

That's why I say but it from the propane supply company. If it's a BAD product they're someone with deep pockets to sue so it's in their interest to stock quality products. Some things I just won't buy online.

If I remember next time I go to town I'll stop at Petrolane and/or AIH to see if I can get you a brand name. No guarantees though, stupid tree!

Frosty The Lucky.

How about not guessing and maybes?

I just drove to Amerigas the local propane distributor and low and BEHOLD they have THE regs on the shelf. Marshall mod# MEGR 6120 @ 25.00 each plus tax. Just do NOT guess, go ask what they carry. They'll order you a Marshall and let you know when it comes in. These are used everywhere in America and the distributors will carry high quality regs for the liability.

How about, maybes, try, etc. have an alternate spelling where propane is involved, it's "BOMB."

Frosty The Lucky.

First question should be "Is it UL rated?"  If it is then it most likely is as safe if not safer than some of the Homemade/Designed Burners I've seen on the forum here. 

What propane forges have UL ratings? Application is a major factor in UL listings. Using an approved device for other than it's designed use cancels any UL ratings.

Seriously, I could pull the UL approved oil burner out of our boiler and make one heck of a forge but the UL listing would go away instantly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

What I met was the REGULATIOR should have a UL rating if it is sold off the shelf at the neighbor store or Amazon.com.  If it does they are equal for safety,  Once you do a DIY invention you have assumed all liabilities.  one has presume the same is true if you give advise or give examples of your DIY product. 

You ask what propane forges have a UL rating?  In this litigation society I'd be surprised if the ones you buy from suppliers don't have a rating of use of some sort.   

Okay, we're on the same page. Blowing yourself to kingdom come is why I've been urging folk to buy appropriate components from folk with professional knowledge and insurance. I don't know how to assess legal liability for some of this stuff I suppose I could get sued. I'd have to print out some of the hair brained advise offered on this very forum in my defense. Point out how much I try to reinforce safe builds and NOT operating the things where failures can take the house with it.

Yes, in response to your statement I asked what commercially made propane forge carries a UL rating. "I'd be surprised if . . ." falls a little short of a cite don't you think? Perhaps if one of us were to contact a couple manufacturers? Okay, I'm twitting you a little I shouldn't but I've gotten myself bitten in the butt making positive statements based on what I "thought" more times than I'd like to think.

I certainly don't disagree, if a person wants to use these things they should most certainly use as many UL listed components the way they're supposed to be used as possible. I just don't know if it's possible doing what we do.

Frosty The Lucky.

Buying appropriate components is the starting position but assembling in the correct use is another story in my book.  What commercially made propane forge carries a UL rating?  Any that is sitting in my shop.  I haven't looked yet as it hasn't risen to the top on my to do list.  

All I know None will be in my shop that doesn't have a Rating to cover what it is being used for.  That is why at the moment we only have a used Horse Shoe Gas Forge that is useful for some things and we use the coal forge for everything else.  If you have employees, which I do not, OSHA will be looking for the ratings when things go bang or poof.  My daughter was in OSHA compliance for a large international Company and that is what they looked for all the time, UL or other ratings. 

As far as giving advice on DIY remember the Lawyers favorite fall back position  "You Knew or SHOULD have known"  esp. the second part as it will burn you in court every time. 

Insurance companies when you burn your shop down will be looking what caused the fire, DIY with no ratings they are not going to be happy to write you a check. 

All in All it depends on what each person is willing to assume in risks.   

Regulators have two features you should think about one is the delivery pressure, and the second is delivery volume.  I recommend that you buy a propane regulator for your industrial gas vendor.   They are pricey but will last a long time and provide better control and volume than BBQ regulators.  That said   I do have a BBQ regulator for my one burner forge because the lower volume is better suited to light heating jobs.  

Charlotte

I can't argue, were I operating a business let alone had employees I'd be using Johnson Appliance forges installed by professionals. UL listed or not lawyers could go after them.

Anyone out there operating a business with home built appliances is asking for trouble.

Granted on all counts.

Proving liability against a person posting on a forum dedicated to a craft rendering advise regarding such devises is a rookie lawyer mistake. Anyone with internet access can search US patents and find almost countless examples of the things with blue prints and technical descriptions of the device, improvements, manner of improvement, construction method, operation, etc.

You don't think I "invented" my "T" version of the ejector type naturally aspirated induction device burner do you? Or that Ron Reil invented the "EZ" version of a linear induction burner? These types of induction device have been in use since Rome was a babe and been used for burners since the the middle of the 19th. century, (kitchen ranges using coal gas or CO used NA induction devices,) maybe earlier my research was casual and targeted towards making a forge burner.

If some yahoo builds a 10 story trebouchet and kills a neighbor by chucking a VW bug on their dining room is the History Channel liable for it's program about War Wolf? They discussed the ratios of arm to counter arm to sling, hanging basket vs. Roman lead counter on wheels. Don't forget the whole national Punkin Chunkin thing.

If you've ever seen me encourage anyone to undertake an enherently dangerous pursuit in less than the safest manner possible. Point it out, cite it. People WILL do this stuff, they WILL lash up home made gas burners. Should I out of fear of losing money not try to caution them to do it as safely as possible or deny them information in the PUBLIC DOMAIN that might, just MIGHT prevent material loss, injury, death?

Frosty The Lucky.