I Forge Iron

42 Ton Uni-hydro

I recently added a 42-14 Uni-Hydro to my shop.  I don't have three phase, so I have been adding a PhazPak to each three phase motor I have, and I haven't had any problems.  I got the Uni-Hydro in the shop and I wired in a PR-3 Phazpak.  I have noticed a couple things instantly.  On heavy loads the motor will cut off.  The first real run of the machine was shearing 100 pickets.  It took about an hour to do so.  When I was done, the motor was smoking.  What have I done wrong, and how can I fix it?

check the specifications of the motor and its exact requirements for power including voltage, current, frequency and check it matches the output of your PR3, as well as checking what the output should be you should measure each parameter and find out if the output is a sine wave or square wave and that the 3 phases are equally spaced.

you will have to replace the motor by the sound of it

I recently added a 42-14 Uni-Hydro to my shop.  I don't have three phase, so I have been adding a PhazPak to each three phase motor I have, and I haven't had any problems.  I got the Uni-Hydro in the shop and I wired in a PR-3 Phazpak.  I have noticed a couple things instantly.  On heavy loads the motor will cut off.  The first real run of the machine was shearing 100 pickets.  It took about an hour to do so.  When I was done, the motor was smoking.  What have I done wrong, and how can I fix it?

The static phase converter is costing you about 1/3 of the available motor horsepower.  I don't see this as the electricians fault unless he told you that you would have full horsepower. 

Since you need a new motor any way I suggest a single phase motor.

Otherwise you NEED a rotary phase converter. Big bucks but you get what you pay for.