I Forge Iron

Bench Grinder/Sander manufacturer

Im Looking at getting a new bench sander, My grinders suck but I can live with that, I've a couple angle grinders that work well. Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer to look at. Ideally id like a belt sander but im open to ideas. The power in the sanders ive seen is usually 500w or less. I need it to be single phase. Also would it be worth looking at a combi grinder/sander style thing?

Preferably one that can sit on a bench. no idea about belt size but id imagine bigger is better (as the actress said to the bishop). I think I read somewhere that 1HP is the minimum size for a grinder so maybe about the same for the sander?

I like my Pheer 2" X 72" belt grinder!  I have a two horse model with variable speed control.  It seems a very good bargain to me!  VASTLY superior to the cheap equipment I used previously!  I can tell you that the first time I turned it on I sharpened a blade to shave hair sharp in less than two minutes!  I experienced euphoria!!!  I left it running while I raced through the house searching for dull blades!  In less than twenty minutes I had sharpened everything I could find that even hinted of dullness!  With coarse ceramic belts I can easily remove enough metal to regrind badly chipped mower blades or re bevel axe heads!  I can also sharpen scissors, small detail carving knives and other such precision cutting tools!  

I purchased my belt grinder from Downland Engineering, a British company that have a few "off the shelf" model belt grinders at different sizes and prices but will also custom build one more suited to your needs if necessary.  I've had absolutely no problem with mine, it works amazingly well for either sharpening blades or hogging off metal/wood for shaping, bevel grinding or whatever, it gets used every time I'm in the workshop. They did have a mix up when they ordered the motor for my particular grinder and ended up getting sent a 2hp instead of 1hp for the same cost which they then passed on to me so it's an absolute beast.

I chose to order from Downland Engineering based on feedback from the British Blades knifemaking website, they appear to be used by and come highly recommended by a number of British knifemakers, evidenced by the 6 month waiting list when I ordered mine!

• 1 month later...

I'm not a bladesmith guy so my opinion is based on using power tools not specific experience, especially not blades.

I don't care for this grinder's looks for one main reason: The drive belt is too exposed and right next to your leg. Not only is it possible to have it grab something attached to you but it could catch a dropped piece of work and throw it at you.

A guard would be stupid simple to put on this machine, that there isn't one does nothing my confidence in the maker.

That's just my opinion from looking at pics on the web, I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.