I Forge Iron

What would you do with it?

I got this at the flea market for ten bucks after a 30 min conversation with the seller. Assuming that it works (guy promised it did), what should I do with it? It already has the chuck on one side so I don't know what to do with the side with the pulley. What would youIMG_20150516_210656.thumb.jpg.0ce7bae225IMG_20150516_210713.thumb.jpg.fc67db3157IMG_20150516_210725.thumb.jpg.6bb26f6ca1IMG_20150516_211837.thumb.jpg.109ef39856IMG_20150516_211826.thumb.jpg.2b1dd280a4 do with it? The motor is an old 1 1/2 HP GE. I also already had this 2 1/4 HP treadmill motor that I know works. So what would you do/make?

IMG_20150516_211837.jpg

On the top motor I would be hesitant using it as is. That is a lot of overhang for that small shaft. I had a 5/8" bar sticking 18" or so out the back of the lathe at work that bent from centrifugal force when I sped the lathe up. I was new on that lathe, and it is very quiet , even at 4,200 rpm. I was doing an operation on the end by the collet, and just eased the speed control up a bit. The next thing I know the lathe is hopping, and making a racket. The bar had bent into a 45° or so angle, and had whacked the electrical cabinet before I got it shut off. That happened at somewhere around 2,000- 2,500 rpm from my best guess.

On the top motor I would be hesitant using it as is. That is a lot of overhang for that small shaft. I had a 5/8" bar sticking 18" or so out the back of the lathe at work that bent from centrifugal force when I sped the lathe up. I was new on that lathe, and it is very quiet , even at 4,200 rpm. I was doing an operation on the end by the collet, and just eased the speed control up a bit. The next thing I know the lathe is hopping, and making a racket. The bar had bent into a 45° or so angle, and had whacked the electrical cabinet before I got it shut off. That happened at somewhere around 2,000- 2,500 rpm from my best guess.

Thanks for your reply and your words of caution. I don't take things like that lightly. I just wonder if maybe the pics were a bit deceiving. I don't think its as long as it IMG_20150516_224857.thumb.jpg.40245fb7a6IMG_20150516_224822.thumb.jpg.78b1562006looks overall. Tell me if you feel the same way after these pics... I don't see a name on the drill chuck.

As far as the treadmill motor goes, I was leaning heavily toward making a 2 x 72 but all the ones that I've seen or heard about used a motor with less than 2 1/4 HP. Is there any good reason not to use it for a belt grinder, other than having to  make a filter to shield it from metal dust?

That looks like a fan motor, and was designed to have something like a squirrel cage mounted to it on both sides. Fans do not impart the same loading as a push from one direction like a grinder would. If I was to use it as a drive motor for something like the arbor you have I would mount the pulley close to the motor. I would avoid having any weight, or side loading forces out on the end of it.

Edited by Glenn

Simple salution is to place a pilot block bearing close to the chuck and pully, then you have a rather old school polishing, grinding, sanding and wire brushing setup. The long shaft on the front then has an advantage as the pilot block is a heck of a lot easer to work around than the motor on a sort shaft. Think drimel tool with the chuck, the other end runns the other tool mount, a flap sander and a buffing wheel looks to be in order their. Place it on the end if your bench so you have the chuck off the end and tool stand facing front

I think the treadmill motor would be good for a 2 x 72 grinder. The only problem is the shaft might be 17mm, you can get a 17mm drill bit and drill out a pulley so it fits the shaft.  If you don't have a controller look into the MC-60 controller they are easy to hook up. I put a treadmill motor on my drill press and lathe they work great.  The other motor I would cut the shaft shorter and get a buffer wheel adapter. 

41Palpoe+RL._SY355_.jpg

Thank you everybody for the suggestions and words of caution. I'm going to use the treadmill motor to make a 2x72. 

I still don't know what to do with the other one. I think the only shop machine that I am especially wary of working with is a buffer. I'm giving serious consideration to taking Mr. Stevens' suggestion.