I Forge Iron

ABANA Survey

Rome, Thanks for your posting. I was a member for one year and did not renew, being strictly a hobbiest I did not see any benefit to me. I would respectfully suggest that the group study SOFA's Quad State operation for ideas and pricing for a "convention". Also, the local groups newsletters seem to be more beneficial, "how to's" etc. than the ABANA periodicals. JMHO.

This is a letter sent into the CBA for their newsletter. It has appeared on several sites I have seen and wanted to also share it here. Mr. Aspery makes some great points here.

Peyton

I have copied this from: Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association |

Article from CBA newsletter by Mark Aspery

As the article appears on the Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association web page which is copyrighted, the quote has been removed and a link to the article put up instead. Site Admin

Thanks Peyton, for starting this discussion here. I filled out the survey last weekend and have started a paragraph for this thread several times. After reading Mr. Boggs' posts, I couldn't come up with anything better. Well stated, I would join ABANA if they instituted a national standards program similar to CBA and made the magazines available at news stands. The general public has to work hard to see what we do, we could do more of what we do if more people knew about it, ABANA has the power to do this.

Just in case some of ya'll haven't yet. The survey is on [ABANA] The Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America, Inc. at the bottom right of the page is a link. Sharing your views in the survey means ABANA WILL hear you.

ABANA is the 600 pound gorilla in the room sometimes that no one wants to mention. I am glad we have had an opportunity here to express our concerns and aspirations for them. The more we discuss this I think the closer we can come to making ABANA better than it has been.

It's easy to say you won't join an organization because of specific issues. But those issues can never be fully adressed if no one takes an active roll in change.

I teach Civics...and I always hear people's political views when they find out I teach government. I always ask them....Do you vote? If the answer is "no" I then ask: How can you complain or argue with a system you choose not to participate in?

ABANA is only as strong as its membership. Together I think we can all take our views and ideas to help ABANA represent all of us. From those like me(a 27 year old beginner) to the professional and beyond. ABANA does not serve all of my needs but by paying my membership and having a vote come election time my voice counts for something, and I can approach individuals as a concerned member. ABANA is not a perfect organization, and there are aspects I am not happy with but I think we can all work to make a change for the better.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is so easy to point out the faults and problems in something when we are not involved in it. But how can change come if none of us takes on the challenge of doing so? I for one will keep my membership active...

I hope we can keep this discussion going...

my .02
Peyton

All, many of you may not know this, but ABANA does have
and will continue to develop, educational/training programs.

At present, and as a direct result of the ABANA Survey, we
are reinvigorating the Journeyman Program. Bob Bergman is
the chairman and originator of this program, Dan Nauman is
on this committee and there will be others named to this
program committee soon.

The Controlled Hand Forging lesson series is the handywork
of Dan Nauman, Jay Close, Tom Latane, Peter Ross, Tal Harris,
Bill Callaway, Derick Glaser, Bob Fredell, Doug Wilson, and
myself as ABANA Board member.

You can find out more about this link:

[ABANA] Controlled Hand Forging

Presently there are lessons 1 thru 15 posted and soon we
will have updated them thru lesson 21. These lessons are
a valuable resource for those who want to learn.

As for the Journeyman Program, it will over time incorporate
the fundimentals of Controlled Hand Forging and provide
a networking resource for those seeking a career path and
the shop owner seeking qualified employees

Stay Tuned, ABANA is on the move and I hope you will join
us in uniting the Blacksmithing Community! Please check out
the [ABANA] The Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America, Inc. home page for an exciting educational offer.

With all "New" or "Expired and Renewed" Memberships, mail in
only offer, you will recieve the Hammer's Blow Archive CD. This
CD contains 26 issues in PDF format, Volume 8, No. 1 thru
Volume 14, No. 2. That is 2000 thru 2007. You can also give
a Holiday Gift Membership, and the new member will recieve
the Hammer's Blow CD in addition to the ABANA Membership

Regards,

Rome H. Hutchings, Chairman
ABANA Membership Services
The Prairie Forge
13633 Ferman Ave NW
Clearwater, MN 55320
(763) 878-1694
rome.hutchings@theprairieismygarden.com

What education? I'd like to know what education has ABANA done. It appears as if many things were talked about, some started, none followed through.

Yesteryear forge, I don't agree with the school analogy. I've never joined because there has never been anything there in the realm of useful information that I couldn't get out of a book written long before ABANA existed. If people have joined and then left, it's because after a while, they started to learn a bit of blacksmithing, the glassy eyes cleared and they realize ABANA is not giving them anything for their money except a magazine subscription. How many folks have joined at the urging of affiliate groups only to not renew their memberships. I think a lot.

Ok I'll take a moment to stop bashing ABANA and write what I would like to see ABANA become. Or rather I should write, what I would like to see in a national organization, because one of the questions should be " is ABANA worth saving and if so, for what reason." The only reason I see is it would be better to start with a organization already in place then to start from scratch. What do I mean? Let ABANA become a Organization that serves the needs of all levels of smiths. Education, networking, standard setting, there's are the things that interest me.

Education: Make the Journeyman's program real. Education, testing, certifying. Create a progressive training program that leads the from beginner to master. The CBA is already doing level training and I believe, certifying. The American Bladesmith Society has one. Someone mentioned The Farriers also have one. The first few steps would not to difficult. Getting skilled smiths and teachers involved is the only one. Peter Ross has for many years taught and trained smiths. Mark Aspery is already teaching a progressive curriculum. Once a curriculum is agreed upon, approach the folks schools about adding the course to their schedule. I really can't imagine John Campbell not embracing the idea with open arms. As for testing, Members appointed by ABANA set-up testing sites at the regional conferences and conduct the testing. Add to teaching program a teaching training course. That way all that are teaching folks to get ready for the test are on the same sheet. Make the standard for Journeyman high enough that it's a real accomplishment. Not something a couple of years of training will get you, but a honest effort of several years. Five maybe? I've been working around a forge for seven years, and I wouldn't give myself a journeyman's rating. Ok, granted a lot of that time was spent with a welder and grinder in my hands, but still I've spent a bit of time in front of the forge and feel I need several more years before I would try testing. Of course there should be at least three levels under Journeyman. Ok, enough about education.

Networking: This is something really for the professional or semi-professional smith. Exchanging ideas, round tabling job problems, etc. Take a look at NOMMA's annual conference. Nothing that big, but rather a tent at the regional conferences. If you've ever been to a Traditional Building Expo, or the Preservation Trade Network, there are always lectures and classes to further the knowledge of professionals. At the Traditional Building Expo in Boston this year, I attended classes on "Finishes for ironwork" and "Restoration of Historical Ironwork" and the last was "Period and style appropriate hardware for the home" These were not casual classes, but professionally conducted classes for the professional architect, builder, and fabricator.

Standard setting: This is really two areas. One, to get on the demonstrators list takes more then being a member of ABANA. Which is a no standard at all, but you wouldn't know that from reading some folk's web pages. Some of them make it sound as a official endorsement of quality and skill. So let's make it so. To be a demonstrator, you need to have taken and passed the teacher training course.

The other area is in the realm of the magazines. Have standards and stick to them. Make getting one's work into Anvil Ring real bragging rights. In both the Anvil's Ring and Hammer's Blow, no more fab/welding tricks, then stick it in the fire and hit it with the hammer to make it look hand forge. Use Hammer's Blow as a educational tool in support of the education program, with the focus being for the beginning smith. Make it a three year cycle. Start easy and make the articles increasingly more advanced until the articles are near journeyman level and then start over.
The Anvil's Ring needs to be a magazine sold in the newsstand and not linked to membership. If you have to offer the magazine as the only way to get members, just what are you really giving the members? As I wrote before, if Anvil's Ring was a magazine the the public saw, I would bust my xxx to get published.

Ok, it's time for bed. Too tired to edit.

Mr. Boggs brings up some good points here, some of which parallel my own views. As I stated in a previous post I feel there should be credentials awarded according to skill level as in the American Farrier's Association; "Certified Farrier", Certifed Journeyman Farrier", Certified Master Farrier", etc.
How would such a program be governed and administered? What would be the cost? From where would adequate funding be secured to support such apparatus?
Looking to existing programs which exist and are successful in other organizations may provide some insight here.
When and where would certification boards convene? At semiannual regional conferences? Would they only be accessable at biannual or annual national conferences? Could at least the lower levels of certification be awarded by local affiliate forgemasters with those seeking higher levels of certification being required to attend a certification board at one central location?
Who would be the official of a certification program? Would this be a salaried position?
Beyond simple procrastination on my own part I feel the main reason I have not yet joined ABANA is that it seems to boil down to little more than an expensive magazine subscription. I don't want to bash the anvil's ring or the hammer's blow but I have always felt these could be greatly improved. The potential exists to bring them on a par with the myriad other trade publications found in many other disciplines.
I have also felt that they should be combined into one magazine AND -most importantly- made available to the general public on the newsstand. Here is the source for funding. Here is the source for exposure. Here is the potential to bring a higher level of respectability and status to the organization.
If lagging membership has been an increasing reality, a professionaly produced nationally marketed magazine will reach the throng of persons interested in learning blacksmithing which already exist in large numbers. They are already there, witness the interest generated anytime a demonstration is given, at fairs, craft shows, etc. ABANA in my view is NOT wanting for interested newcomers, they are simply not being reached.
Discussion is the seed that brings positive growth,THANK YOU Glenn for providing this forum to the community. A place where even a meagre newbie like me can shoot his mouth off, hopefully for the betterment of the craft. :)Dan.

Mr Boggs, I spend 3-4 hours per evening working for the future, serving the needs of
the day and all the while remembering the link with our past. You have some valid
points, these things do not happen overnight. I'm a volunteer, and as such entitled
to some free time of my own. How ever some people may view ABANA, is up to them,
isn't what living in a free country is all about. Oh, I forgot to say that I've only been
doing this since November 15th, 2007........I think that's like three weeks, OK.

Speaking only for myself and not for ABANA, there are many things in this world that
bother me, most of those things I can do very little to change. As for the things I
can change, or make a difference in, those are the things I put my effort into. If you
could wear my shoes for a day, I believe you would know a different outlook.

Where am I going with all this? Well........I noticed that you have volunteered to
help Bob Bergman on the Journeyman's Program Committee, my hat is off to you.

Bob and Dan have the list of over 100 people who have volunteered to help this
program.......Peter Ross, Nol Putnam, Tom Latane, Caleb Kullman, Bruce MacMillan,
and the list goes on, Jonathan Nedbor, and yes Gerald Boggs....this is you isn't it.

I am curious to hear what an outsider (not from USA) master blacksmith who has taught all around the world and observed many programs thinks of the current situation with ABANA. Maybe Uri Hofi will weigh in.
I have observed many organizations cycle through lows and highs (to include our military and government) When people involved or affected by these organizations feel that these organizations must change, that is what happens. The changes always meet with resistance from some, while others heed the calls for change and lead the way. Others snipe and complain but do little. ABANA is a membership driven organization. The members are responsible for success and failure within the organization. But one thing rings clear, negativism takes more effort than working for positive change. Lets look at what has worked with ABANA and expand, lets look at failures in a positive "turn lemons into lemonade" attitude. But for crying out loud lets move forward. When this hubub began I didn't care to become involved, now I will renew my lapsed membership, and work for positive change. This can be accomplished only through joining and committing.

tbr.
That's a great proactive attitude to have. It has been really great to have these discussions on here to get everyone from the nay sayers to the supporters and everyone in between involved in the discussion...

I would also like to know the stance of those in other parts of the world...that would be a cool addition to all the discussion that has already occurred. There are a few affiliates of ABANA that are outside of North America...

Peyton

All, many of you may not know this, but ABANA does have
and will continue to develop, educational/training programs.

At present, and as a direct result of the ABANA Survey, we
are reinvigorating the Journeyman Program. Bob Bergman is
the chairman and originator of this program, Dan Nauman is
on this committee and there will be others named to this
program committee soon.

The Controlled Hand Forging lesson series is the handywork
of Dan Nauman, Jay Close, Tom Latane, Peter Ross, Tal Harris,
Bill Callaway, Derick Glaser, Bob Fredell, Doug Wilson, and
myself as ABANA Board member.

You can find out more about this link:

[ABANA] Controlled Hand Forging

Presently there are lessons 1 thru 15 posted and soon we
will have updated them thru lesson 21. These lessons are
a valuable resource for those who want to learn.

As for the Journeyman Program, it will over time incorporate
the fundimentals of Controlled Hand Forging and provide
a networking resource for those seeking a career path and
the shop owner seeking qualified employees

Stay Tuned, ABANA is on the move and I hope you will join
us in uniting the Blacksmithing Community! Please check out
the [ABANA] The Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America, Inc. home page for an exciting educational offer.

Thanks Rome....That seems to answer the question for me...

Bob and Dan have the list of over 100 people who have volunteered to help this
program.......Peter Ross, Nol Putnam, Tom Latane, Caleb Kullman, Bruce MacMillan,
and the list goes on, Jonathan Nedbor, and yes Gerald Boggs....this is you isn't it.

Yes I am that Gerald Boggs :-)

hmm....interesting....you will volunteer to help ABANA, but find no reason to support ABANA. I am beginning to smell a troll lurking amongst us....

my .02...I am sure to get bashed for it....thats ok...wonderful part of the 1st amendment! :);):)
I am done with these threads now....the horse is beginning to stink and I am tired of taking my turns beating on it. I am going to move on to something a little more productive...

Thanks Rome. I believe you put if perfectly in the above quote. Thank you. I will support you and ABANA in any way now and in the future!

Peyton "I call myself a blacksmith eventhough I never took a test to say I am" Anderson LOL :)