I Forge Iron

Hello from Upstate NY

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Need another hole in your head eh? That's what my friends kept telling me when I told them I was getting married at 45. The same guys kept saying I'd have a ring in my nose too. I got my ear pierced and a gold ring to show them how good their predictive abilities were. Then my coffee shop buddies met Deb and decided we were made for each other. They got that one right.

Being a fabricator won't hurt, been there do that. What do you want to make?

Oh and we LOVE pics and we're not too picky so long as you wouldn't mind your 9 year old daughter looking at or reading to the post.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcomes.    I was originally from the Mohawk Valley but have lived in Rochester since 1992.  I want to try some sculpting and household decorations.  I have a small hunting camp and hand made items would look wonderful there. 

Looking forward to to learning as much as I can from the members here.  

There you go, "Rochester, NY" is near perfect for a general location in your header.

Hunting camp gear is a great place to start. If you have cook fire in a pit you need a tripod W/ trammel hook that converts to a spit. Cooking grill, toasting forks, fire tools, etc. Don't forget lantern / lamp stands, cup holders, J and drive hooks. There is camp "yard" furniture and accoutrements to make. You'd need to live in Alaska to need a forged steel bug swatter though.

Frosty The Lucky.

There you go, "Rochester, NY" is near perfect for a general location in your header.

Hunting camp gear is a great place to start. If you have cook fire in a pit you need a tripod W/ trammel hook that converts to a spit. Cooking grill, toasting forks, fire tools, etc. Don't forget lantern / lamp stands, cup holders, J and drive hooks. There is camp "yard" furniture and accoutrements to make. You'd need to live in Alaska to need a forged steel bug swatter though.

Frosty The Lucky.

​Exactly where I was planning to start. Hooks for clothes and guns are #1. Fire pit trimmings and cook items like a pot rack are #2.  And since we occasionally get a few deer, some Gambrel hooks. lol

I thought of Gambrel hooks a while after sending my last post. Lots of things a person can use in camp. I used to sit around a camp fire and forge stuff while the other driller was knocking back a half rack of beer every night after work. I'd rather play with fire and hit things than get sloppy stupid but . . . Nevermind.

I've never cleaned a deer but I doubt a rib spreader would be helpful. I have cleaned moose though and we typically use block and tackle and prop their ribs open with branches. You just haven't lived till you've cleaned, quartered and packed out a 1,200lb. animal. Darned good eating though. Moose tongue makes THE BEST sandwiches. mmmmmmmm.

What I discovered was really useful when tenting was a stake puller. No I didn't forge my tent stakes I used 22 penny nails and sometimes they'd really get stuck. Of course being nails I could just slip the tent loop or guy over the head and drive it flush. I don't know how many 22 penny spikes I've left around Alaska, the puller fixed that though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Made a hunter friend of mine a set of Gambrel hooks out of stainless so he could throw them in the dishwasher. (he had a custom built support as he did everything from elk to antelope to oryx to mule deer to...so he wanted a set he could position as needed on his support bar. I actually made him a large set and a small set; he paid in bison from a trophy hunt on Ted Turner's ranch.)