I Forge Iron

tv blacksmiths

hdwarner

i was watching a rerun of the rifleman the other night and the so called
"town blacksmith " was hitting a BLACK piece of steel and he wasn't even hitting it hard , you know "dink dink dink"
and the coal forge was just smoking a little .
i screamed at the tv "HIT IT HIT IT"
i guess i am no better than the people watching sports being a arm chair coach.
my wife said the blacksmith was probally an actor
and i exclaimed right back , well he failed blacksmith acting school miserebly!!!

why i oughta .

There's an awful background scene in the Lonesome Dove prequel, "Dead Man's Walk" (I think), the one with the young guys.

The smith. or farrier, or whatever he was, pulls a shoe out of the fire, quenches it in the tub (hiss, steam, hiss), then lays it on the anvil and starts beating on it.

At least it looks and sounds cool.

Don

RainsFire maybe you're thinking of "The Hunted"

The Hunted (2003)

This is a Tommy Lee Jones movie, where he's a special forces trainer who has to hunt down one of his students that went crazy and killed 4 deer hunters. In the movie, this guy makes a knife from leaf spring, on a wood fire, I believe using a rock for an anvil. Not too, too, far fetched except that he made the perfect knife (so sharp you can't handle it, so tough nothing can break it) all in one very short time.

Who says don't mess with used steel? We don't need no stinkin' 2" x 72" grinder or a heat treat oven.

Has anyone seen the sword forging scene in Conan? ..

Or if you played Neverwinter Nights ..a "hero" gets a fully finished sword ..with fuller and with the furniture on it. .out of the fire. .and beats it hard ..and then . .cools it. . without changing it's shape. .

Also in the early episodes of Hercules. .. there was that hot babe blacksmith ..but who was looking at the forging huh?

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando bloom redeems himself a bit in Kingdom of Heaven, altho he keeps beating on the anvil supposedly to keep the tempo ...

the main thing I hate is that he is introduced as a full time smith that's done nothing but beat iron all his life at the beginning of both movies. ..but he is small and skinny .. and you would expect a lot more muscles on someone with such a profession.

Also. .If you have the chance ... check out that episode of MythBusters in which they test the myth of exploding hammers.

The case hardening procedure they attempted sucked .. and they used a sucky Harbor Freight anvil that had CHINA written on it with raised lettering=>cast iron.

Don...
Mike and I joke about that scene from time to time. He introduced me to the Lonesome Dove series....I love a good western.

Mende....
Mythbusters revisited that myth later on and got a smith out in their area to use his gasser to heat them up and then quench it in what looked to be "super quench".....he also let them take back what looked to be an ozark(Tom Clark Ozark School of Blacksmithing) anvil to use for the tests....the results were about the ame. Nothing exploded just some cracks and chips. Cool none the less.

Peyton

I had never realized that Antonio was such a wimp as when he had so much trouble using a viking sword that would weigh only between 2-3 pounds and so had to cut it down...

And a lot of smiths were small and wirey and some were large and brawny and nowdays a lot of us tend toward the rotund---my wife says if I get much rotunder I'll have to start worrying about attracting satellites...

Don...
Mike and I joke about that scene from time to time. He introduced me to the Lonesome Dove series....I love a good western.

Have you seen the commercials for the new mini-series of the final chapter in the Lonesome Dove series?

Comanche Moon is the name... another "prequel", I believe.

Looks promising.

Don

Remember "Back to the future"? In one of them, (back to the future 2?) "Doc" was the scientist who discovered time travel by means of his inventions.
Trouble was, once he went back into the past to the 1880's and got himself stuck without his modern lab, he had to learn blacksmithing so he could fabricate a new time machine and get "back to the future".
Only a blacksmith could do this!:cool:Dan.