I Forge Iron

Trinkets for Christmas?

I have been trying to come up with something I can make 15 or 20 of to give family and friends for Christmas and I'm not coming up with much.

I thought about the crosses that Pete asked about but I don't have a band saw. I thought about using a hacksaw but I'm not looking forward to doing that. :(

I thought about trolls from RR spikes but I don't have any punches or chisels to make them with and they are probably over my head anyway...

S hooks? Wall hooks? Leaves? Any other ideas? :confused:

Kevin,
I just gave a friend of mine a little horseshoe keychain made from 1/4 square. I punched the little nail slits using a #10 cut nail that I forged a thin chisel edge onto and quenched in water, and included a split-ring style key ring. She instantly asked me to make a dozen more that she would buy from me to give to her "barn-friends" (she's a horse rider) as Christmas gifts.

I will find a picture and post it when I can. The thing is about 2.5-3 inches long when staightened out. I am not overly experienced and did it in about 20 minutes - including wire-wheeling down to silver and heat coloring, then treating with plain old beeswax

as for the cross, it is possible to chisel cut one out.

i hack sawed mine and it wasnt too terrible....i just had trouble keepin the saw straight.....so now i went up to my neighbor and he works at a fab shop and i talked him into letting me come up after hrs and cut a bunch of blanks...I will also get him to cut me some flat stock so's I can make bells too.....jingle bells...ha I used to play santa clause now I got a real set of Bells...ha

Kevin,

A pair of heart shaped wall sconces, (candle holders) will make a big splash with the women. Just couple pieces of strap iron slit at the top shaped into heart scroll the bottom end to mount pipe candle cups. Lots of good ideas in the gallery, and blueprint sections.

Merry Christmas!!!
LarryM

Hey Kevin,
Bracelettes. My mom showed me a bracelette that her brother gave her. It was made from a pair of 1/4" rods twisted together, beat somewhat flat, sanded or ground shiney, and bent into a "C" so a lady can put it on her wrist. It doesn't sound like much but it looks nice with the well polished steel with some black scale between the twists. It could also be done with a single bar of a larger dimension.

I'm making everyone on my list a paint can opener ( just a stocking stuffer). My wife needed one, I couldn't find ours and I made one. Stock: 1/4 rd, 8 in. length. Spread one end in a small tapered fan and give it a slight curl on the horn. I've been just making a circle on the other end, but you could make a fancier hook. You could make the hanger end a bottle opener too, for the guys.

My brother in law wants a gaff hook for halibut fishing. I also plan to make my daughter a claw hammer, the kids have liked tongs in the past even though I get really odd looks from grandparents and such. Tools are generally great if you know what the person is into. Try to make something nice enough that 20 yrs. from now they won't think that you were just trying to be cheap.

Not somthing you'd make 20 of perhaps but this WAS going to be a Christmas gift till it went walkabout after an open day. May whoever took it enjoy it till the day they die. Coincidentaly that would be the same day I meet them in a dark alley.

4264.attach

Nutcracker tongs from 3/8" stock looks to be what I'm making. The wife is going to slump glass vessels to hold the nuts. Ran a prototype last night and it took me about an hour including making a smaller punch to make the rivet holes. I think if I go production on it I can shorten that time considerably. Each "move" only takes one heat with the 3/8" square stock... I'll post pix in the next day or two. Gotta stop at the grocery store on the way home tonight and get some nuts so's to see if the design works or if I need to make further mods.