I Forge Iron

Burnt out and a needed boost

I have been busy pretty much all year. When I haven't been at my day job I have pretty much been in the shop making stock for the 6 shows I've done or filling orders for people. This is a good thing and I hope it continues.
For awhile now I have missed being able to make what I want to make and thinking of what I have missed this spring and fall by trying the "business" angle of this craft.
I am tired and I have needed a boost. I came in from the shop tonight and had just cracked a cold one and was about to log on to see what was up on here when the phone rang and it was a man I had made a bean pot spider for in Yonkers New York. He called to tell me he loved it and that it worked fine. He kept going on about how it was exactly what he had wanted and even called me a genius. I can't spell it let alone be one.
He has another project he is sending me for a quote.
I have quite a few repeat customers now and people are starting to come to the shows looking for me because other people have told them about my work.
It makes it better when strangers like what you do and call you to tell you how much they like your work.
I don't mean to ramble but it made me feel good and I wanted to share it with everyone.

John

ATTA BOY! I love to hear about others doing good. And to have people looking you up is awesome. There is certainly other things that go into that kind of reputation, being a good people person and communicating with the public is extemely important. I for one will walk off and leave a good deal or good product on a table if the person in not pleasant or at the least kind. done it tons before and will probably do it again. Now kick back, relax, and enjoy.

I love it! I could make a lot more money production welding or exploiting the portable welding header on my business card, but I feel richer when a customer calls me back almost in tears because of all the soul their house has since I installed my forged product. I did a traditional riveted railing job in an entryway a couple years back. I seem to make something else for the guy every year, recently he told me he's gotten used to company taking 3 steps in the front door, then freezing in place staring at the railing, and wondering how big the guy was that mashed all that steel into that shape...Wealth shouldn't always be described with a dollar sign in the preface.

John, AKA (JWBIRONWORKS)
For us who have had that same experience, we understand the feeling you are expressing and we know why you’re excited.
I am glad you are sharing your celebration of being appreciated by the general public. That same type of feeling has always helped fuel my subconscious drive and desire to produce a quality product.
Keep on doing what you’re doing, you must be heading in the right direction.
But, keep in mind the wisdom our forefather blacksmiths handed down when they said in essence:
There are two major sins in blacksmithing.
1. STRIKING COLD STEEL
2. NOT CHARGING ENOUGH
I am not proud of it, but I have been guilty of both them many times!
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

Thanks everyone for the replies, Sorry I haven't gotten back with you all. It's been kinda hectic this weekend.

Gary, as Thomas said it is like a large trivet with no center. This one had a 19" ID and the legs had to fit over one of those patio fire pits. The legs are made of 1/2" square bar stock and had to be removeable for storage. I also made a 17" insert to hold a dutch oven. I will try to post some pictures.

Ted, I too have been guilty of both, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

John

4254.attach

4255.attach

4256.attach