I Forge Iron

Time to find a shed

Maybe consider just a "carport" type covering.  All my smithing is done under one of those metal carports you see along the road over here for "Only $595"....sure....

It works great, air circulation is nice, keeps the sun off your neck, but.........(is a bit uncomfortable in the dead of winter!!!!).  Metal posts, rails, and metal roof (fireproof).  Your's would have to be smaller; possibly custom built.

100_4028.JPG

Pretty easy to add more sheet metal to close the sides I would suggest insulations, as the sun beating down on the roof radiates a lot of heat down on you. Ac duct insulation comes in 2" thick, 48" wide by 100' roles, wile metal building insulation come in 4" thick, 48" wide by 100' roles. They both cost about the same. But you have to fur out for the thicker stuff. If you dont line the inside, it will get damaged, and birds will go after it for nesting material.

Of course, for a simple cover like mine, you don't necessarily have to use all metal or retail purchase.  You can use dimensional lumber, 4x4's or 4x6's for the posts and 2x6's or 2x8's for the plates and rafters/roof joists.  Any kind of sheet metal would suffice for the roof and sides if desired or it could be decked and shingled (or rolled roofing)....all kinds of scenarios for simple construction.  If you have access to cedar trees, they make great posts and even rafters.

Maybe consider just a "carport" type covering.  All my smithing is done under one of those metal carports you see along the road over here for "Only $595"....sure....

It works great, air circulation is nice, keeps the sun off your neck, but.........(is a bit uncomfortable in the dead of winter!!!!).  Metal posts, rails, and metal roof (fireproof).  Your's would have to be smaller; possibly custom built.

100_4028.JPG

• 1 month later...