I Forge Iron

Hand made.....Metal BBC4 next Monday.

The BBC4 tv show HandMade will be showing next Monday the 4th of may. At 9 .00 there will be Handmade " glass" and at 9.30 Handmade "metal" . The Metal,show is half a hour of myself forging a knife. Three is also Handmade "wood" the day after .

The show is part of a slow TV movement and is a honest portrayal of a craftsman working. I'll post a link to the BBC 4 website as there should be interviews etc up there soon.

9.30 May 4 th.......Handmade : Metal

Edited by basher

I thought the "photography"  was great as was the sound. Much different than many of the films I've seen on people doing things like this. However the same things that made the film "artwork great was also disappointing. The short focal length, high contrast/lighting conditions made for interesting viewing, but didn't really allow you to see more about the shop that I'd have found interesting. I will say it helped keep you focused on the task at hand vs being overwhelmed by "stuff" in the back ground. The show had a nice slow easy pace that in many ways surprised me.

Very good. Thanks so much for posting that link.

Thank you Owen. Did you mark the stock with the framing square before cutting it on the square shear for the production? Watching you cut the stock it was pretty obvious you'd set the stop so the marks were irrelevant.

If it's a secret pretend I didn't ask. <wink> I just notice that kind of thing, I spent I don't know how many hours working on a square shear in Dad's shop.

Frosty

I thought pouring the oil was for the sound effects, and pleasantly soothing. Especially after the opening scenes of you dragging the cylinder through the yard and banging stuff around. That was to explain you were working with . . . W-a-i-t . . . for . . . it . . . METAL! The expression on your face said it all so eloquently.

How long would it have taken you to make that knife without the production crew in your shop?

I'm not making light of the show. I've just spent too much of my life watching this sort of educational TV to  miss some of the obvious production techniques and tricks. TV productions have an obvious "fingerprint" so to speak, sometimes you can spot the specific producer. Other stuff is obvious, the artistic camera angles and lighting instead of focusing on what you're doing is really common.

I really enjoyed watching you work in your shop and give you high marks for not dropping something on someone though they did seem to stay out of your way. I like watching BBC programming for the different production values. Different is good.

Thanks again.

Frosty

The crew were here for 4 days. I really enjoyed the process, I am well used to camera crews and directors as this is the  18th tv show I have worked on.

I am used to doing and redoing seemingly pointless stuff.

I try and lead a director into understanding the process and values of the work , however it is their show, they ARE the boss so to speak. I learned early on that the director is always rite .......keeps things flowing once you get that into your head

The camera man and particularly the sound man were getting their kicks and I was hearing great noises from them when they captured one arty shot or another, the sound in particular opened up a lot things I had never noticed before as we isolated specific sounds.

To make a twisted damascus knife from start to finish BY HAND ( without using a power hammer) takes about as long as is mentioned in the filming, roughly 2 days work.

However I never work one thing at a time and use a power hammer whenever possible. I have worked hard at my process to attain a blacksmiths rate for my bladesmithing work (which is very unusual).

That sounds pretty good now. Having done it enough times to be able to explain stuff in language they can understand, keeps them out from under foot and safer so you can just do the job. In this case the job is the show. Darned if that might make it enjoyable to have production crews around. Heck a guy could set up some interesting visuals for the camera guy and what the hey Glenn brought up blacksmith made musical instruments. that way the sound guys wouldn't feel left out.

I figured doing the knife by hand with the power hammers in the background was for the show. So what, maybe 4x as long? If you want to make a living you have to understand and practice production techniques. The customers have to be willing to pay shop rate so you have to make it worth while by making as much product per hour as possible. 

My favorite visuals in the show were you twisting, twisting is always cool to watch, that's why I make it a standard part of demos. Maybe better was watching the pattern develop in the etch. It makes me think a glass jar would make etching cooler, more dangerous maybe but cool.

Thanks for the link and playing 20 questions with me. <grin>

Frosty