I Forge Iron

Question about 1045 for a hot cut

I was wondering if anybody has any experience using 1045 for a hot cut or any other hot work for that matter. I need to make a hot cut and I have used H13 in the past and while it works very well it's also a rather expensive steel. I am trying to find something cheaper that will work without using something that won't hold up at all. I tried some searching but couldn't find much so either I don't know how to search or there's not much out there about it.

I have never used 1045 in that application. 

I do use it for hammers. Cold 1045 is harder than hot steel and will hold up as long as you are careful to maintain it and obviously keep from hitting it. 

I use 4140 for hot-cuts. Try getting car axles from your local scrap yard. They make good hot-cuts. 

Good Morning,

If you go back in the Forum's history, you will see that axles are made from 1045H = below 1.375", 1541H = above 1.375". This was stated by Ptree, who worked for an axle manufacturer. I would have no hesitation to use 1045 for your application of making a Hot-Cut. It will stand up well, I have used one for over 15 years.

Neil

I made a hot cut from a chunk of breaker bit- forged below the collar to fit the hardie hole, made the working end above, and it works a treat. Discussions on this forum have placed breaker bit from 1040 to 1050 or so. I forged it, and just normalized it. It will mark my (sacrificial) hammer with a mis strike and mugger up the edge, but a quick stroke with a file and I'm good to go.

Steve

1045 is a medium carbon steel. The big tong makers use 1045. H-13 is a great steel. S-7 is great as well. the good thing about H and S steels is they are air hardened. It takes a lot to get them  hot. so they hold a better edge for hot cuts. Sure it is expensive to by a full bar but with as little as you need to make a hot cut. it is worth it in the long run.  

• 3 weeks later...

If I was buying new steel to make one with it would be S7, many people use H13. I have never used it so that is why Ive been sticking with S7, it works for me. My hot cut is made from 1045 because I had a good amount here in the shop. I made it a bit more robust than I would if it was S7, and I have had no problems hot cutting mild, W1, W2, 80crv2, etc...

H13 has a max working temp of 1000F, not perfect as thats the extreme but its about the best you'll find. I get drops locally for around $1 / lb but for tool making that's not too bad, I'm not buying a lot. That being said I've made them from 1018 and have had them for years! Depends a lot on your use - most of the time I just cut on the sharp edge of my anvil - no time to find a tool when I'm working. :)

J

yes but H13 is air hardened and the 1000F is the metal (or your tool) getting that hot. I use it to punch hammer eyes even when it has turned orange it has not deformed. 1000F is the temp you have to heat it up to if you want to weld on a handle. I find it a little better that S-7 . but do not get me wrong I like S-7