I Forge Iron

Mouse hole anvil

hi guys new here,ive been wanting to start blacksmithing for years now and finally bought myself an anvil,its a 1854-1975 mouse hole anvil with this written on it " M&H armitage mouse hole forge 1.0.13" so if im right and did my homework it should be 125lbs anyways just wondering if i got a good deal on this or if i overpaid(lol really wanted an anvil) got the set of tongs for free but paid 350$CDN for the anvil btw im from quebec canada anyways here the pics i cleaned her up with the metal brush that goes on the drill then oiled it with a little extra engine oil i had laying around

20150422_123013.jpg

20150422_121118.jpg

20150422_121145.jpg

20150422_122950.jpg

20150422_121202.jpg

Edited by Eyesenish

Looks good to me.     Price is decent.  My personal favorite anvil type.  The only real issue will be how much of the original steel is left above the wrought iron body.  Finding a mouse hole in that good shape with out major problems is a stroke of great fortune.  I have two on the floor of my garage at the moment that will need major repair before use.

Congratulations! 

great thanks! i tested the ring and rebound when i bought it ,stills rings and rebound seems decent,theres not much dents on top mostly just busted up corners on one side the other is fine though

Edited by Eyesenish

yeah kinda proud of my purchase here :) just made another good one today though, i got a 60lbs leg vise for 20 bucks the only thing is that it was rusted preatty bad and the screw was jammed but i got to loose it and finally got that part out and now im trying to part out the rest to restore it fully,ill post pics when i geta chance

Eyesenish,

I recently received a copy of Anvils of America written by Richard Postman.  Included with the book was another book named Mousehole Forge.  Since A of A was a gift, I don't know if it was included as a free book by the giver or was purchased.  It is a full-sized paper bound book, of 108 pages, that goes into the most fantastic detail about the history of the Mousehole Forge in England and the anvils.  Wonderful reading.  You might try to locate a copy.

• 6 months later...

reviving an old post of my anvil here havent even had the time to use it yet been so busy lately but today i had a little time to dress the horn back to its normal state( no more tea pot) and resquared the mushroomed edges of the cutting table,altough i didnt touch the top and i wont its clean enough as is and i dont want to screw it up so anyways heres the pics of it now

20151031_145225.jpg

20151031_145212.jpg

20151031_145203.jpg

Edited by Eyesenish

That old Mousehole looks great.  You did well with cleaning up the horn and table and were very wise to leave the face alone.  It's in fine shape as is for forging.  Enjoy it.

BTW, were you ever able to get hold of Postman's Mousehole Forge book by purchase or loan?

• 5 years later...