I Forge Iron

Unknown leg vise

Eyesenish

so as some of you know since i talked about it in my anvil thread i bought a 60lbs blacksmith leg vise for 20$CDN, the guy i bought it from found it in the fields of his farm buried in dirt so it was in pretty bad shape.i couldnt even open it, it was totaly jammed up in rust anyways with a bit of elbow grease i finaly got it all appart,i used the wire wheel on the drill to clean every part then oiled it up with engine oil and rebuilt it, i had to grind a tapper on that lower bolt because it wouldnt fit jn the nut anymore because when i extracted it i gave it a couple of hammer blows to release it and it upset the metal anyways heres the pics . i put a peice of wood there under the spring to try and make it change a bit of position since it dosent have enough tentoin anymore ,in was thinking of heating it up and bending it a bit more for better tention but not sure if its a good idea, maybe you guys have a better solution to this,other than that it works great now, also i cant find any markings on it if anyone can identify it that would be great as well thanks guys!

20150425_145214.jpg

20150425_145159.jpg

20150425_145327.jpg

20150425_145243.jpg

20150425_145305.jpg

20150425_145400.jpg

20150425_145345.jpg

Edited by Eyesenish

yeah i cleaned the thread as well, used a pointy file to remove all the rust and grime that werenleft in threads over the years now it works great i greased it up too to keep it working well for a long time :) probly the best 20$ i ever spent lol

Edited by Eyesenish

• 4 weeks later...

It has a Peter Wright conformation reference the box turnings, the shape of the mount, and the well made "ears" at the bases of the jaws. If you remove the box, sometimes there is a single number stamped on the exterior, cylindrical, inner screw portion.

Edited by Frank Turley
more explanation