I Forge Iron

It was suggested by someone I trust that my next furnace (to cast a minimum of 50#) a pour should be a tilting one - I agree - I have a 21" diameter compressor tank to make that and my muller - but looking for plans.   Chastain has a book but cant find a copy - they want $700+ on Amazon for it.  and as much as $2k!     anyone have any designs they can share?   Thanks.

I'm no casting pro but every setup I have seen has a movable ladle or crucible that is heated to melting temps in a stationary furnace.  Even the big carbon arc setups in steel mills use a monster ladle on a crane while the electrodes are lowered into the melt.  For 50# pours, it might be easier to design a furnace on the ground then use a set of two man tongs to pick up the crucible.  A tilting furnace gives me all kinds of chills - like how do you handle fuel fittings on a moving setup that is well above 2000 degrees F.

If you are trying to do big pours with no help, I think you'll need both a motorized lift and pivot on the crucible or it could get away from you and dump when you least expect it.  I've had trouble with 15 lb pours working by myself and would hate to see what 50 lbs of molten anything looks like when it splashes.  Think safety at all times...;)

Tilting furnace is the way to go. My big Tilt/Pour was stolen. It would pour about 500# of bronze or 175# of aluminum.It was an expensive machine. I may know where there is a smaller one available if you are in the north east. Not sure if it is still there.

There is a small aluminum foundry around the corner from me that is closing in a couple of weeks that has 2 tilt furnaces I think they are both still for sale.  They run on Natural gas and I would guess one is 50-100lb the other is a couple hundred.  They are older furnaces and Dave probably does not want that much for them. 

Arftist - I assume that was a commercial unit?  500# of bronze is a big pour - I haven't checked lately but bronze was running $5 a lb so that's an expensive charge.

​Yeah, I bought it from an extruding company. They had used it to remelt the bar ends.