I Forge Iron

Moving away from coal due to increasing cost

kayakersteve

Here's my forge I built.  ~260 cm3 interior 2 burner forge.  Entire forge lined with 2" kaowool and coated with refractory cement x 1/4",with 2 coats ITC100 on outermost layer.  will get plumbed and test fire over weekend hopefully.  needs to be able to weld billets the size shown.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks to me like a rather large billet for that size door opening.  Does it have to go in on a diagonal? 

If tried by now,  how did it work?  I have built a similar sized gas furnace,  but with only one burner and fired on natural gas. Feel like I struggle to get to welding temperature. Haven't tried a bullet in mine yet, but hope to in the future. 

Looks to me like a rather large billet for that size door opening.  Does it have to go in on a diagonal? 

If tried by now,  how did it work?  I have built a similar sized gas furnace,  but with only one burner and fired on natural gas. Feel like I struggle to get to welding temperature. Haven't tried a bullet in mine yet, but hope to in the future. 

​Natural gas is usually at low pressure (a few inches of water column), making it difficult to get high temperatures in Naturally-aspirated forges. Propane is easier because it is stored at high pressure and just needs regulating down to the pressure we want.

For NG, a blown burner may be a better option.

I believe you got the volume wrong, 260cm3 is less than 16 cu/in. Yeah, I'm being picky but it matters.

If those are 3/4" burners, even linears will bring that volume to melt your billet temperature easily. Sure they might need a little tuning but that's a LOT of burner for that volume forge.

It'll weld no problem and you'll have to keep it turned way down.

Just FYI:

Natural gas has 1,030 BTU/cu/ft

Propane has 2,500BTU/cu/ft

Butane  has 3,200BTU/cu/ft

Gotta love Google. Frosty The Lucky.