I Forge Iron

fuel problems

Puck

First and foremost, I'm a noob (major noob). I've only fired my forge maybe a dozen times. So I'm still trying different fuel options. In my area (northern Rhode island) I'm limited to one coal supplier. They specialize in anthracite coal but from time to time they get bituminous coal. Yesterday I went to buy a few more bags of coal in varying sizes (1 40lb bag of peat size and 1 40lb bag of nut sized coal). When I got there I was surprised to find they had gotten a small supply of blacksmith coal so I grabbed a bag of that as well (can't have to much right?). I have since found out that this stuff is awesome (the metal even feels like it responds better). here is my problem..  My chances of going back and finding more blacksmith coal for purchase are slim (they sell out FAST). Can I mix anthracite coal and blacksmith coal together to extend my supply? I don't really like the anthracite coal. I feel like it gets to hot. I'm always melting what I'm practicing on. But I didn't have that problem with the blacksmith coal. I'm currently using a hair dryer as my bellows because the anthracite coal is a pain to keep hot with my hand crank blower (it's not the best). Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you

Oh yeah.. Hello! :) I'm new if you haven't noticed. 

You need to find a local blacksmithing group and ask where they get their coal. You will learn more by attending a couple of meetings that you can imagine.

Rhode Island: The Southern Bunch  at the South County Museum, Narragansett, RI.  On the 4th Saturday of each month (10:00 - 3:00)  For more information: www.southcountymuseum.org

I have tried. They told me that when they order a truck load, then end up sitting on it for a year or more (which makes no sense seeing how I watched them sell out in 4 days). They also charge me twice as much for blacksmith coal ($15 for a 40lb bag). is this a decent price? Its only $7 for a bag of the anthracite.

Welcome aboard Puck, glad to have you. Puck. . . Isn't that the sound one makes when it hits you in the head? <grin>

If you contact a farrier a/he'll be able to tell you either where s/he gets coal or which farriers use coal.

Mixing the anthracite and bituminous is fine, just keep close track of how it behaves so you can determine the ratio that works best for you and the job. Is the anthracite coking up? If it is then you need to mound it up after it gets started and let the center coke up a little the color of the inside of the mound should be high yellow and if it's sticking together you're golden. Simply poke the stock in the side of the dome and rake a little back over the opening to keep air out. Slowly add more coal to the outside of the mound to coke up as you tamp it into the center. Tamping the mound is what the little shovel is for, more so than shoveling.

If you're lucky you can start the fire with the bituminous and get a good heart of coke burning. The heat escaping the heart passing through the mound will coke up the rest as it gets tamped into the center. If it's very smoky poke a crater down through the top of the dome to expose the heart a little. The resulting flames will burn the smoke . . . mostly. <grin>

Fire management is one of the more tricky and touchy skills a smith has to develop. Once you get a working handle on it you'll be able to adjust to whatever solid fuel you find yourself using.

Frosty The Lucky.

I had that feeling. Each time I fire up the forge, I'm a little better at gauging the heat. I'm tired of melting my metal. Its depressing to start feeling good about something I'm pounding on only to leave it in 2 seconds longer than it should, turning into a 4th of July sparkler and crumble into lava sand if I hit it. 

I read as much as I could about blacksmithing before I ever fired the forge. I like to think I have a bunch of useful info in my brain. I'm just having a tough time applying it to the real world. YouTube blacksmithing videos are fantastic (the God's only know how many of them I have watched) but I also feel like they give you an unrealistic view on the trade and make it look way to easy. I knew what I was getting into. There are just some things that I find extremely frustrating. I wish I had the means to have formal training. But I have had the noodle dream (kung fu panda reference) wayyyy to many times to let my frustrations get me down. For the last 3 months every time I go to sleep, in my dreams I'm standing at an anvil making a spoon or a fork and 100% happy with life. When I'm awake, I can't even think of doing anything else until I have done something for the smithy or fired up the forge and heated the anvil (coffee has never been my thing). That told me 2 things..

1. Blacksmithing is what eases my soul. Its what I'm meant to do. It is my obsession.

And

2. I need to stop going to sleep hungry.

And just for the record.. :) "puck" is the sound I make when i drop my crosspein on my foot.

Not burning steel is easier if you use the same size  and type of steel, when you have steel in the fire that is all there is in the world (untill you and I both get better). Deliberatly burn the first piece of the day before you hit it, this does 2 things for you, 1: you've already burnt steel so no need to do it again, 2: it helps "set your clock" or get your mind on the job.

Good idea. I have a bunch of crap rebar laying around. I'll try it tomorrow. My goal is to get at least 15 hours of practice a week. I need to mess up a lot of metal before I can start making nice things. That's how it works right?

I hear you Brother, we all started and all know the frustrations. A couple things that might help. First stop thinking of this as a "trade" even the dream of making a living at smithing is sort of like dreaming of being a pro ball player or rock star. The odds ain't so good, better for being a pro blacksmith but still. Try thinking of it as a "Craft," a skill to acquire for whatever reason or purpose. No pressure, it's a set of skills. Then try to remember this is FUN. I don't care if anyone ever pays me a dime for what I make, I find a soul deep joy just in the doing. It's the process I love, making things others want to give me money for or work around the place to earn lessons so they can do it too is gravy.

Remember a thing, fuel doesn't make the fire hot, air does. You don't need or maybe want the steel in the heart of the fire. If it's burning too easily try moving it higher, farther from the air blast. Most importantly, keep your eye on it. Don't stare at it, that way leads to cataracts NEVER stare into the fire but keep an eye on it. Quick glances every few seconds when it's getting close to temp.

If you can shift away from the young man's need for the now and start to envision the craft as a process, not a trade a process. I think you'll be able to just have fun doing it. Once you relax it becomes easier to keep the steps straight and failures aren't bummers, they're lessons in a way that didn't work. Remember what you did though, just because it didn't work making a twinglus doesn't mean it isn't the perfect technique for making a whirly wizzywoggle. Every blow with the hammer, twist with a wrench, every vibration through your holding hand/tongs, every sound it makes is the steel talking to you. We have to learn the way of steel. It doesn't care about us, it's just highly refined dirt, just as happy as a rust stain in a mountain's heart as it is in the finest blade ever made. Without the hand and mind of mankind it's dirt. It's our great big brains and thumbs that convince dirt to become beautiful utility that will serve us for centuries or longer. Making is our glory.

Process, it's our process and it's a life long learning curve we'll never crest. It's a gloriously eternal rush of learning, failures, successes, discovery and wonder. Enjoy the ride brother its a blast.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

It's why we say an afternoon working with someone that knows what they are doing will save 6 months or more of you trying to do it on your own.

It's the transference of book/internet larning to reality---like I keep having to tell folks that "cherry red" is NOT bing cherries; but the old pie cherries that are orange to yellow. Bing cherries are johnny-come-lately things compared to blacksmithing!

• 2 weeks later...