I Forge Iron

Mechanical lifting contraptions

tonyw

Absolutely. No loss at all here, a cheap lesson from the school of hard knocks. Unwelding things is also a good skill. That in mind let take take this opportunity to tell you that I lost half my hearing by the time I was your age. Between rock concerts and a V-8 caterpillar with a blown out stainless steel exhaust. I wear ear protection when using a grinder. If I am using a grinder with a cut off wheel I make sure the factory guard and the handle are in place or I don't use it. Using a cut off wheel in a grinder properly is about as safe as using a skilsaw. Using it without a guard or handle is about as safe as using a skilsaw without a guard or handle. 

Absolutely never grind or wirebrush anything without glasses on, and a face shield as well is not overkill. Torch cutting requires a shade 5 lens, welding a shade 10 but at your age you should be using a 12. Your grandfather may have been using a as low as a 7 or a 9, it is important to check. Don't pick up hot metal with your welding gloves on, that is not what they are for.Let your welds cool before chipping, and get some books on welding. It is good to learn welding while actually creating something but is is also good to be able to make sound consistent welds.

Lincoln and Hobart both made good books on welding...there are many others as well but the Lincoln book is the best if you can find one.

Most important of all, make regular visits here. 

I do make regular visits here. But other than some books about welding from the library, and those I just skimmed over, I haven't read much on welding. Actually, my dad, who isn't even a welder himself, showed me how a stick welder works, and then I was on my own. I practiced and practiced and practiced and my welding rod stuck on the metal hundreds of times, and I kept going, and now I have no problem at all with welding, except for occasional welds breaking, so I guess I need to work on consistent soundness. And thanks for the safety warnings. I tend to be cautious around obvious possible dangers (didn't recognize it in my wagon) and so far I have immensely enjoyed metal working.

I can see you're going to fit in here famously well Tony. Next time you get around a welding supply ask them for the: Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, etc. welding manual they used to be give away texts though I don't know about now. Get connected to your local blacksmithing organization, I'd be very surprised if there aren't a number of professional welders who'd be willing to give you some tips if not just teach you the basics.

Whatever you do, don't be a stranger around here.

Frosty The Lucky.

Absolutely never grind or wirebrush anything without glasses on, and a face shield as well is not overkill.

​Going to add a comment here, after spending  almost $200 last night at the optometrist and pharmacy for removal of a steel shaving and antibiotic eyedrops for the next week or so....

Was cutting/grinding steel for Damascus with safety specs AND a face shield, I still got a piece in my left eye....Today I picked up some goggles that have a seal around my eyes.  Make sure you have goggles before grinding or using a cutting wheel.

Just my 2 centavos

as always

peace and love

billyO 

OUCH Billy! Been there had doc fish chips out of my eyes a couple times and I had eye protection on. Glasses and shield the second time.

What got me the second time was not being careful enough taking the shield off, a chip caught under the band fell out when I removed the shield. It of course fell straight down between my eyebrow and safety glasses to bounce once off the lens and into my eye.

From then on I close my eyes before removing any head gear, bend forward and give my hair a good finger ruffle, brush my eye brows and sometimes wash my face before opening them again. I discovered just going to the head and doing the whole routine over the sink showed me how much junk falls out when I remove the shield, less so a welding cap but the safety glasses seem to delight in catching crud against my eyebrows.

Whatever a body does do NOT blow anything off you with the air hose!!

Frosty The Lucky.

The doc didn't even ask Stash, just shook his head and went to work.

There for a while I'm almost surprised they didn't have a driver assigned to pick me up, we all got to know each other by name. You would not believe how far a 1/2" breaker bar will fly if stomped on by a 200lb guy. I thought he'd know it was a left hand thread on the lugs on that side of the track rig but Nooooooo. Yeah, he was training me. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.