I Forge Iron

First finished knife!

Gergely

Hey Folks!

Finally made my first knife which is completely done. Nothing special but certainly special enough for me.

Stock was 1/4" thick leafspring from an old Trabant (cultic little car from the old DDR). The edge is about 2" long. Blade is quenched to oil and tempered straw on the edge blue-overblue at the spine. The grip is paracord wrap, first try, too. I had to figure out something to add length to the grip because it felt too short in my hand. So that's why it looks so weird at the butt.

Well, and no sheath, so maybe it's not all done yet... but let's just say it is.

I made all the beginner's mistakes during the process and only can hope they were corrected. Anyways I left the blade wholly rough with the original stain pitting and hammer marks - somehow like it that way.

So enjoy, and feel free to comment! 

Bests:

Gergely

IMG_5791.thumb.JPG.f34f8f5027eb65d9aa614

IMG_5792.thumb.JPG.a8290c10d4a65cf2c4e90

IMG_5793.thumb.JPG.1912eb7277bb8f605aaea

Lookin good! Welcome to knifemaking, now you'll never stop, muahahaha.

I like a hint of the forge finish too. I usually clean up the bevel on the grinder/sandpaper for both aesthetics and to achieve a nice edge transition / bevel. I think I would like the wrapping more if you completed the second wrap-around instead of knotting it up... or maybe that's a technique I'm not familiar with.

I think I would like the wrapping more if you completed the second wrap-around instead of knotting it up... or maybe that's a technique I'm not familiar with.

​Hehe, I did not like that either, just had to do something to make the handle thicker right behind the blade. And then all of the sudden my paracord ended:o. So I really should redo the wrapping... sometimes... maybe...

Thanks for the comments, guys, and just go on!

Trabant!?!     Guessing you couldn't find any Yugo springs? 

:lol: Actually Yugos are quite rare around here nowadays. Trabant has become a near extinct species, too. 

trabant.thumb.jpg.53fa983dbd29714fd39f21

Here she is in all her pride in the original commercial picture. That woman must be pretty tiny BTW cause the car is a small one, too.

A very similar looking piece was staying in my second neighbour's yard for decades, and a few weeks ago he decided to get rid of it. I heard the unmistakable sound of the hammer hitting the fibreboard car body. Later I went there and asked the owner if he sold me the leaf springs. He said I can them freely if I take them out. So I cut out those leaving only free pieces that I thought too risky to cut out without any safety gear. So that's the story behind the knife, I may try and make the neighbour a knife when I have some practice.

And about what Theo said: well yeah... I've already made an other knife and one other knife-related item and can't stop thinking about more to make... while I should really focus on other works to accomplish to have some money... what's now happening?

Benton: Thank you, I really appreciate your supporting opinion!

Bests to All!

Gergely