I Forge Iron

Dinner Bell attempt

Jesse17

I wasn't sure how how much bar was going to be used in making the corners, or exactly how I was going to form the corners. So I kind of expected my twists to be in the wrong spot, and oh look at that, they are...

0315151833_zps5nu8xuyy.jpg

But I did manage to make a ball like shape at the end of the piece you hit it with. So that's a 1st that worked out ok-ish.

OK, I made a second attempt. I think this one came out a little better, but there's still some rough areas. I REALLY need to find something to build decent anvil horn with. Sticking different size pipes in my vise isn't as great of a solution as I had hoped. ;) 

11069919_656877251106598_428378744117246

The trick or should I say A trick for getting the twists where you want them in a bent project like this is twist it AFTER you bend it.

Hanging the ringer like that will damp the ring. Of course you should be holding the ringer so it probably doesn't matter.

Looks good Jesse.

Frosty The Lucky.

I thought about doing the twists after the bends, but my forge was built for blade work, so most projects won't fit in it once any long bends have been made. I have to do all the spirals, twists, etc. then bend the long pieces in one heat each.

What can you scrounge up to make a bick? Pick, axle, shafting, old style trailer leveling hitch bars, piece of rail...

tho the curves can be done with out a bick, just with hammer and anvil (in fact the twists can be done with out a vice and wrench)

one of the members has a bending jig that consists of two pieces of heavy angle, one with a round pin and the other with a square. He uses cheap impact sockets two very the size, make up 3 or 4 sets, as sockets come in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and one inch drive (the square shank) 

• 1 month later...

Make yourself a bending fork. It can be as complex as you want, or as simple as a piece of round rod bent into a U shape and clamped into the vise. Can make 'em different spaces for different sizes, or adjust the one piece as needed. Lots of ways to do it, but they make bending a lot easier.