I Forge Iron

NIMBA Anvils?

Yes they ARE very nice. .They combined the Euro anvil with the German pattern and a failed attempt to integrate the cathedral windows of the Austrian pattern. ..but those were meant to me used as a swage block. .so it's just decorative now. ..
The horn is taken from English and American style anvils .. as European ones have perfect cones ( Nimba as well)
If Batman was a blacksmith this would be the anvil for him:)

I have a nimba gladiator
I havent used it as I bought it to have one that was personaly finished by Russell
Russell has since passed away.
I hope they never change the quality of the castings and the finish etc. but you never can tell.
The only fault that I can find in a nimba is that I dont understand why you would put the pritchle hole on the round part of the horn,
I readily admit that I havent used it to determine whether it is a problem or not but that doesnt mean that I dont question its usefullness.
The other models seem to be sitting on four feet and I dont understand why you would take the main mass of an anvil and put it up on small feet ( it seems that would defeat the purpose of designing an anvil with all of that mass in the body )
There is absolutely no question of the quality of my gladiator anvil ( it is one fine anvil )
the finish is superb and it has a deafining ring.
ill probally end up with a centurion and a titan somehow, as I just seem to fall over anvils in my travels and anyone that knows me will tell you that ( ive never met an anvil that i didnt like ).
For a decent price of course.

Mike Tanner

i have a centurian. I went with a new one because I got tired of playing with the used ones...I wanted to make my own marks and have freedom to pound where I wanted....I am so glad I did this....It looks very cool....rings unbelievably....I set mine up on a wooden stand and a piece of rubber underneath...then I put a magnet underneath and now it sounds great. The best part of it is there is a large work area...the horn is substantial also...its a great anvil...it was between that and a rathole...it was a little cheaper so thats what I went with....BUY AMerican when I can....the people out there are great also....The guy that teaches me said he would buy one of these he likes them ...if he was buying a new one....

The other models seem to be sitting on four feet and I dont understand why you would take the main mass of an anvil and put it up on small feet ( it seems that would defeat the purpose of designing an anvil with all of that mass in the body )

I think it's inspired from old Spanish pattern anvils ..that would fit on the stump like the cap on a soda bottle. ..
If you look at Vulcan's main anvil in this painting . ..you would see where Nimba where inspired from.
One could defeat this problem with some fancy chisel work on the stump ..so the anvil fits well on it and don;t only rests on the legs. .

I would guess that the feet probably don't make all that much difference. The hammer force should still be transmitted to the feet pretty nicely. The biggest problem with feet would be the flexing of the piece between the feet. I don't think the anvil would be flexing much at all from the force of a hand hammer.

But maybe the feet on a stump could present a problem, as they're a much smaller surface area. The pounding could cause them to dig in a bit more than a flat base.

• 3 weeks later...

As it would be a first attempt, I wasn't planning on making more than one. If the first one came out decent and someone thought they wanted me to make one for them, I might consider it at that point but I doubt anyone would be interested in paying what a Centurion cost for a treadle hammer made by me!:D

I wasn't aware that Mr Jaqua had passed away. Sorry to hear that. He was super nice to me when I got the chance to meet him several years ago.

I went to the boat school that was just up the street from his shop and had the opportunity to work on one of the very first anvils he had made while there. After some of the ASOs and other well worn anvils I've hammered on, that thing was an absolute dream. From tip to tip there isn't a spot that doesn't work like a champ. I'm going to have to crack open my piggy bank now and get one in case they go out of production.

One word of caution, don't work until you're too tired with these things. If you miss strike it'll just about feed you your hammer! LOL I still have my teeth though and my nose is where it started out.

• 5 years later...

I use a centurion I bought from the original owner in PA. Paid $1200 a couple of years ago. Drove down in my very slow pick up truck and brought it and a stand back to Brooklyn. That low, big beefy shape makes sense to me. The squatness carries it's mass from the horn to the heel. If you look at the gladiator vs the centurion (450 lbs vs 260 lbs...) the more beautiful design is the cen. due to the feet. I know, I know. Go with more mass every time (the glad.) and that mass needs more surface contact to carry the weight to the earth...hence the more solid design of the glad. 
But the glad. just doesn't give me a joy full feeling the way the cen. does.
So, I have this cen. and use it and I'm thinking of getting a 460 lbs rathole to add to the shop. Best of both worlds (has an upsetting block. a fifth foot 'round back and a side shelf...)
Down side on my Nimba:
Would love if it had an upseting block and the face seems a little soft compaired to the German anvils I have used (I miss my material a lot...)
Having said that it makes me smile every time I walk by it..
-Drew

edited for language