I Forge Iron

Hulot Harmel Anvil

Hi Guys I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the french Hulot Harmel anvil?

What I would expressly like to know is it a cast steel anvil or does it have a tool plate top and their reputation.   I did find a few via google but couldn't make out enough info as I don't speak french.

I believe the 40803 is a serial number and estimate this anvil is around 100Kg+

Cheers.

DSC_1320.JPG

DSC_1321.JPG

DSC_1322.JPG

DSC_1323.JPG

DSC_1324.JPG

Google translate is your friend. From the French Wikipedia: "Anvils made of molten (cast) steel were manufactured in the forges (plants) and steel mills concentrated mostly in France, in Le Creusot. The most common names are manufacturers Firminy, Claudinon, Aubry, Sambre and Meuse at Sedan, and Hulot Harmel in Donchéry ..."

Hulot Harmel was in the towns ofSedan & Donchery, along the La Meuse river, close to the Ardennes Forest and the border with Belgium. They started in business in 1827, and produced anvils and other ironwork for over a century, but that's all I could find.

There are a couple of older threads here at IFI about these anvils.

Edited by John McPherson

I bought the anvil today and it is cast I wonder if the top is chilled?  Google translate isn't helping as much as it used to for me. There used to be a translate option when opening webpages which I no longer get. So it is a bit hard to cut and paste to translate when your not sure which bits are important.

I now have to clean it up, fix it to a stand and work out what the hardie tools look like for a side exiting hardie hole and make some.

Still love to know more about the maker etc.

finally, a sreious anvil :)

I have a Hulot Harmel anvil, 101kg, forged. yours seem to be also forged. mine has a face that seems to be made of little bricks welded toghether, you could see the welding lines if you look closely.

SO, don't hesitate, buy it IMMEDIATELY , they are very good quality and the french pattern, I think, is very, very rare in AU. bot not because it's rare I advise to buy it, because is a very, very good/versatile shape, one of the best. I'm a big fan of them. 

generally, French anvils are of good quality. I check their http://www.leboncoin.fr/annonces/offres/ile_de_france/occasions/?o=1&q=Enclume almost daily, just for the pleasure to look at them. most of them are still in good shape, and a good part in excellent condition, either the forged or the cast ones. they generally doesn't seem to have chipping problems (there are chips, of course, but I've never seen such damaged anvils by chipping like I've seen on this forum) neither heavy dishing problems. the forged ones seem to have thick face-plates.

Edited by matei campan

I did buy it mate!  I hope it is as good as you say.

Mine is 80cm tip to tip, 15cm wide on the face, and I think 27cm high.   Never seen another French anvil in Australia and this one came over in a recent lot of antiques.

the size is approximately the same as mine, so it's ~100kg. why do you say it's cast, how can you see that?, anyway, even if it's cast, it must be a good one, it was one of the top makers in France. and excuse me I didn't see your post when you said that you already bought it. so, congratulations, you're now the happy owner of a French anvil on the other side of the world!

Nah I bought it between the original post and when you posted, so you didn't miss it.

The reason I say it is cast is not a certainty.  

1. I can't see where a top plate joins.
  2. I can't see any signs of forge welding or forging that I have seen on other london pattern anvils, this is the first of this kind I have seen
  3. John posted above that several french manufactures including Hulot cast anvils
  4. Another smith saw the anvil and said it was definitely a cast anvil.

Although I do wonder why a cast anvil would need the square handling holes in the side, unless the were used during heat treat.

So the general consensus is that it is a cast steel not cast iron anvil, but I'm happy to hear evidence for being forged.

you won't see where the top plate joins. on mine I just see the welding lines between the "bricks" composing the faceplate. I already saw several anvils of the same pattern as yours, on the "leboncoin.fr", and by the pics you could guess they are forged (not painted, easier to see the surface). you could look for the presence of the parting lines from the casting. also look on the chamfer of the pyramidal horn, there you could see if it's forged, and under the horns, etc. there is where I can see clearly on mine that's forged. 

maybe the other smith who saw it in person, has reason. me, I'm only guessing.

check this out:   http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/774014493.htm?ca=12_s

http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/746985155.htm?ca=12_s

http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/746985155.htm?ca=12_

I took some photos, not very good, because of the light, you can see them here (I hope the link works): http://s908.photobucket.com/user/matei-campan/library/HulotHarmel?sort=3&page=1

it's quiet hard to photograph the "bricks", but you may see them. also you can see from the pics taken from under the horns that the anvil is forged, there are very clear forge marks and but no casting marks as parting lines, etc. you may post some photos from under the horns, it will help a lot to judge if the anvil is forged or cast.

yes, maybe it's blister steel. I have another French anvil, a "a pig" - the face is composed of 5 steel bars welded along the face. the horns have thinner steel faces welded on them. anyway, a "pig" anvil it's the most complicated anvil to forge, they're just amazing the skills involved to forge such a thing.

I saw just 2 French anvils with delaminated chunks off their faces, but I think they were damaged by bombs during the war (either of WW, heavy battles in that region), they looked like been torn off, not like sledge damaged. anyway, the plates are thick, like 1inch or more.

'

yes, maybe it's blister steel. I have another French anvil, a "a pig" - the face is composed of 5 steel bars welded along the face. the horns have thinner steel faces welded on them. anyway, a "pig" anvil it's the most complicated anvil to forge, they're just amazing the skills involved to forge such a thing.

I saw just 2 French anvils with delaminated chunks off their faces, but I think they were damaged by bombs during the war (either of WW, heavy battles in that region), they looked like been torn off, not like sledge damaged. anyway, the plates are thick, like 1inch or more.

'

My Blacksmithing mentor came around the other day and fired my forge up for the first time and also christened the anvil.   It has so much rebound that as the work cools to red the whole thing bounces of the anvil with each blow.  I forged a hot cut to fit its side hardy hole.

It is a great anvil, so I'm very happy with it.

Any suggestions on best method for this style of anvil to attach it to the stump & how to deaden the ring a bit?????

just put some angle iron or  some thick flat steel over the feet and some long 10mm wood bolts like you can see in my photos in the link above.
you'll notice the improvement.

that "bricks" are not visible on a fresh polished surface, just after the slag from your work will wear the welding lines a bit. or maybe your anvil has a one-piece steel face or maybe is cast. they may used different technologies along their production time.

so, after looking at the photos in the link above, showing the clear signs of a forged anvil, how do you think it's yours? can you post some more pics?