I Forge Iron

Decent Traveling Anvil?

yes, buy 5 of them incase you wear them out. Do you not listen to the replies folks give you??? -

I, for one, M.Brothers, will no longer read any of your threads, since it is apparent that you listen to no advice you are given, and are at best living in a dream world about your abilities, finances & skills, at worst you are trolling (posting for no reason other than to post, hence you which new anvil for under $2000/ buck thread etc etc etc)

I am not trying to 'flame' here folks, and would ask for no comments / replies to this post, but please have a look at M.brothers post / threads started section and tell me if you think he is serious??? - it seams a shame that your valuable time is being taken up answering trivial / nonsensical & outright fanciful questions.

I like this forum, and I know the depth of peoples knowledge that they are willing to share, and I possibly can offer some very valuable information back in time, but threads like this??? p l e a s e.

First place I searched I got the following in Wisconsin

* I have some blacksmith tools I would like to trade or sell. I have a forge, anvil, post vice and a fu misc. tools.

* I have a fischer anvil I think it is a fischer it doesn't have a name on it but it looks like a fischer. what do you have to trade?

This was from the VERY FIRST ATTEMPT to find an anvil in Wisconsin. Anvils are out there !! You have to hunt for them, TPAAAT works (ask Thomas).

He's young, he doesn't have valuable time, he has time to kill, and he is choosing to spend it learning about blacksmithing..

Wish I had time to kill...

My thoughts exactly. John, you seem to spend as much time saying you won't read the threads as he does making them, and your posts are wordier. He asked a valid question and, imo, should be allowed a valid answer. Would you expect any less? The only stupid question is the one left unasked, and if you ask me, the place needed some fresh blood to start making the forum more active.

m_brothers, pay no mind to people like that. Keep asking those questions. I for one would keep looking around before buying new, especially for an anvil that small. I don't know about down there but up here, small anvils are relatively common on farms. Ask around too. You'd be surprised at what your neighbour has or who he/she knows that might be able to help you out.

John N. said:I am not trying to 'flame' here folks, and would ask for no comments / replies to this post, but please have a look at M.brothers post / threads started section and tell me if you think he is serious??? - it seams a shame that your valuable time is being taken up answering trivial / nonsensical & outright fanciful questions.

Not trying to "Flame"?? I must be losing something in translation between "The King's English" and American English. Leave him alone, John N. He just might receive some valid answers to his basic questions that would benefit all of us.

Most moden farriers anvils feature a horn that is more or less flat on the top rather than a cone or circular cross section, also they will have longer heels and horns so that you move the anvil around more when you hit it as you are working on that lever. That said I would expect that this anvil would last far longer than you do it would work but not as well as one made for what you want to do. It is cheaper to buy what you need (want) rather than buy something else first and then buy what you really want.
The reason that some farriers anvils are such a good buy is that that is what is in demand by those willing to pay new prices, there is not much demand here for light blacksmith anvils by those who will pay new prices therefore not much market competion. If there is not much demand maybe it is something you do not need.

As a blacksmith turned farrier (who would like to switch back;-) you can use a farrier's anvil just fine to do blacksmithing, it is still better than most railroad track anvils I have ever seen. I have a 70# Mankel shoers anvil and fastened down adequately it does alright for blacksmithing, it gets HOT especially if I do much slitting or I am working heavier stock 3/4"<. If you are patient and ask ever person you meet if they might know where there is an anvil you can buy, you can with luck find a nice anvil, heck you might end up being as lucky as Thomas and find an anvil a year for a 1$ a pound or less. If you want the extra assurance of knowing what you are getting, check the reviews on that anvil and buy something new... Blacksmiths fall into two main camps guys who want to buy one really nice shop anvil, bit the bullet and get something that will last the rest of your life and you can hand down to your kids or grandkids, or the guys who will buy any anvil they can get for the right price;-)

I would rather be a one anvil guy, but a nice new anvil is salty for what I would want...

I have a rule: Once I finally pull the trigger on a major purchase (or at least one that I have been studying for a while) I stop reading sale papers for at least two weeks. This keeps me from finding that better deal that I should have waited for instead of buying when I did. I stay away from auctions and flea markets for a while as well.