I Forge Iron

facebook page

Hi guys, I saw the email about the facebook page, and the one about needing to delete an address for  return to all emails. I guess some think we need less input from out side our group, it seems to me that we just need to remember that on the net there are those with lots of experience and those who really know less than nothing. I am not really interested in more places to look for information for our group. I really do not understand facebook and I have sent a lot of aspiring smiths I meet when out doing shows here. (posting here would help that outreach) I really do not plan to learn a new site that I would need to monitor from time to time to keep up with what is going on. I do not know if others feel the way I do, likely if they do they are not going to say so, they will just not be part of the new page or whatever and you will wonder what happened to them. Might be they are interested in blacksmithing not computing. If you want to have my in put you can post here I check from time to time, or you can email me with a list I do not have to learn how to delete off names, or you can call on the phone. Mark

Mark, the guys at IFI are really going out of there way to try and help here, so hopefully the Facebook thing will not be needed anyway, I for one am fine with that and am hoping these tests they are running will lead to an ideal solution not just for us but all the clubs affiliated with IFI, it is the best resource online there is for smithing.
The real issue we were trying to solve is that sometimes club business is really just local club business and not something that would benefit from comments from a worldwide cross section of enthusiasts. If I upset any in the group by trying to help out with a Facebook page then honestly you all have my sincere apologies. I want nothing more than for our little group to grow. i have never been a part of a group I am more excited about that this one, with all of you. I have more and better friends than I have had for years. You all mean the world to me. I love learning from the more experience members and I get a real joy from being able to help where I can.

Mark: The idea of a private area for the club is not to isolate us but to help filter things a little. This is specifically a result of trying to get some response to the bench swage block casting project from more of the club. At the last meeting Pat suggested we can cast swage blocks at Art of Fire. Abel's Father owns and operates a sign company and Abel has access to a 3D CNC router. If we can agree on a design he can carve the patterns. If I recall correctly Able told Pat he'd like a swage block and the idea developed from there. Now it's a potential club project.

All we wanted to do is get some more of the guys involved. Everything is pretty straight forward once we decide what we'd like for dies. The carbon copy E-mail list Jim H set up is developing errors from being copied so many times, this is normal for CC lists as they age. I get a bounce message from your E-mail address reply time repy so I don't know if the discussion is even reaching you.

That's the motive for both the Facebook page and IFI's new Alaskan subsection. I don't know enough about Facebook to say much except we can discuss this or other things by invitation only. Glenn is setting up the new sub section for us so anybody can read it but only people subscribed to it can write to it. Subscriptions to the sub section are by approval.

The entire concept of a private discussion area is up to the club to decide. If nobody uses it it'll just go away. The IFI subsection isn't operational till I give Glenn the go ahead and or he gets it debugged. Heck, trying to write the code to set it up may be why IFI keeps crashing right now.

I just reread my post again and it's really longer than I'd like but I can't seem to get it much shorter. Sorry about any confusion I donated with my other messages. We really are just looking for a faster, easier more reliable way for us to discuss things and we're open to suggestions.

Jerry

Tristan I am not mad at you, I just do not seem to have time to add additional things to my plate, and I often get crabby with computers. (personal problem of mine.) I think sending the email list made since as I expect people like Rich G. never get to this site, there are others like that who have been involved with us. Maybe I am wrong and they are all reading this. Anyhow I think the noncompuer types are unlikely to be going to facebook.

Personally I don't have a problem with input from the peanut gallery, there are some very informed people here, if I have not seen posts by someone before that showed they were normally well informed I think we can ignore that type of input. (At least that is what I often do.) I was unable to get on here last night, not trying to leave you hanging.

I have been missing meetings a lot lately, so I may be pretty out of the loop, so you guys might want to tune me out as well.

I think that one of our problems with this part of the forum is that we do not post here often enough to make it worth checking. I of course fit this stereo type. Mark

Mark: Your points are all well taken and believe it or not why we're trying these things out.

All these new sites are attempts to make it easier for guys to participate. You're exactly right, almost nobody uses the  Alaskan IFI section. The feedback I've gotten trying to promote it at meetings has been they don't have time to go through all the posts on Iforge so never even looked at the Alaskan section.

Tristan and I are just trying to set something up a little quieter so we can communicate more easily. The "Alaskan Association of Blacksmiths"  section is still an open area so suggestions can be posted there by anybody. The "Alaskan Casting" sub-forum is the only restricted area so we can keep to subjects.

It's still being debugged, I can't post either and I'm THE contact guy to subscribe. The guys at IFI have never set up an area like this so it'll take a little bug killing.

I know almost nothing about Facebook. E-mail lists and Iforgeiron type forums are all the social media I'm familiar with. However it's possible to set up a closed by approval only area on Facebook and that's what Tristan set up. Just a quiet place to discuss club business.

If nobody uses these things we haven't lost anything, almost nobody talks now. Maybe a few of the guys have coffee or talk on the phone now and then but what does that do for the club? We aren't looking to force anything on anybody.

In no way do either of the private discussion sites prevent folk from talking to the world on the open sections of IFI. Its a no lose thing.

Jerry