I Forge Iron

YouTube's ModernBlacksmith?

Hillbillysmith

Forge built by a fabricator not a smith, lol
It works obviously but you can build a better set up just for the shipping costs. First, a smith would place the ports on the long sides, a single 3/4" hole in the middle of the pipe cap is all you need for that small set up, and a "real" smith would fill the bottomed of the forge with dirt and dig out a bowl around the twear, not filled with fuel. If you just want a small portable to heat shoes or other small stock it isn't bad, and it saves you from doing much fab. But really, for $50 I can build a nice forge, for $100 a real nice one. Withe some scrounging, dumpster diving and begging I can set you up for less, combine the $100 and the scrounging, dumpster diving and begging and I can have a forge, anvil, hammer('s) and basic tools and stock. Or lacking the $ I can scrounge harder.
This is a fabricator that built the forge pan to fit in the Canadian version of a flat rate shipping box (look at the walls of his shop, factory made scrolled fence/railing pickets) it's well thought out by some one who has done a little research.
Read more on IFI and then ask a few questions. Then open your mind to the possibilities and do some scrounging and experimenting.
Once you have a good idea what your doing with a low buck scrounged set up, then invest you $ in your dream set up.
So what can you find to hold the fire? Set the forge at a comfortable height? Blow air? Evacuate smoke? Pound on? Pound with? Heat and pound? Hold on to what your heating and beating?
Might have to start a " low/no money blacksmiths kit challenge thread! Lol

I saw enough when I Googled it. I don't see anything special to recommend the forge unless a person doesn't have fabrication skills. I think good written directions would serve better, a person can lay them on the bench and refer to exactly what s/he needs rather than have to search through a video.

But that's me, I'm old fashioned and it shows.

Frosty The Lucky.

I saw enough when I Googled it. I don't see anything special to recommend the forge unless a person doesn't have fabrication skills. I think good written directions would serve better, a person can lay them on the bench and refer to exactly what s/he needs rather than have to search through a video.

But that's me, I'm old fashioned and it shows.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty forgive my ignorance but did you develop your variable volume forge? I may have asked before, I was intrigued by the idea and my old Johnson is wasteful and feeling it's years. I was thinking something like a kiln shelf for the ceiling and the burner/s would come in from the sides? Are their any blue prints or plans of your burner design?

Frosty forgive my ignorance but did you develop your variable volume forge? I may have asked before, I was intrigued by the idea and my old Johnson is wasteful and feeling it's years. I was thinking something like a kiln shelf for the ceiling and the burner/s would come in from the sides? Are their any blue prints or plans of your burner design?

Yes, it's on it's second working incarnation. The attached pics show (I think) the basics. The one of it running was it's first incarnation, before paint but I don't think I have one of it running after the paint.

If you have Sketchup loaded I can shoot you the drawings. One thing I'd certainly do differently is NOT use a scissor jack, a trailer jack will lift the lid without any other guides, bracing, etc.

post-975-0-75496600-1423427053_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-71553400-1423427195_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-91869300-1423427109_thumb.jpg

The drawings of the T burner already on IFI are the first incarnation I don't build them with that kind of fuel hookup. I'm going to put on a burner and forge workshop for the club if we get any interest so I'm trying to write a clear set of instructions. 

As soon as I get them drafted up I'll shoot you a copy, you can help proof them for me.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-17456_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's on it's second working incarnation. The attached pics show (I think) the basics. The one of it running was it's first incarnation, before paint but I don't think I have one of it running after the paint.

The drawings of the T burner already on IFI are the first incarnation I don't build them with that kind of fuel hookup. I'm going to put on a burner and forge workshop for the club if we get any interest so I'm trying to write a clear set of instructions. 

As soon as I get them drafted up I'll shoot you a copy, you can help proof them for me.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not sure I could be of much help, but sure, I would like to see this design documented, it seems very logical. 

Thanks for the photos. 

Ralph Sproul also developed a variable volume forge and sells very detailed plans. Google Bear hill Blacksmith. I am using one and really like it. I don't change the size that often but have used it to heat and forge a half ring of 2.25"x8" x30" dia that would not have fit in any other gas forge of a similar size.

Back to the OP I agree that it is a neat little unit for a beginner for the price. It is not a high end forge and but will get a beginner started. They can and probably shuld upgrade if they decide they want to continue blacksmithing. Most people who stick with blacksmithing will outgrow a forge like this.

Yes you can dig a hole in the back yard for free if you want to work sitting on the ground and your wife doesn't mind. If you have a welder and scrap pile sure you and I can whip up a similar or better forge in an hour or so. I started out on the cheap myself. I had an old vaccum that I picked up at an auction for a blower and I bought pipe fittings a pan barbeque and a couple of 2x4s I lined the barbeque with clay. The barbeque cost me about $30-40 25 years ago. It was only about 18 guage steel so his forge would have been better than the one I started with.

If you don't have a welder and access to a scrap pile you could quickly spend $120 making a forge that is not as good as this one. Yes a beginner could buy a welder but a decent welder will be more than this forge and they you have to get the steel cut and learn to weld. Those of us with fabricating tools and skills can easily forget how hard it can be without the basic fabricating tools.

If you think you could make and sell a better forge for less money go ahead and compete. I don't think I could make enough profit to live on making $120 forges.

Ralph Sproul also developed a variable volume forge and sells very detailed  plans.  Google Bear hill Blacksmith.  I am using one and really like it.  I don't change the size that often  but have used it to heat and forge a half ring of 2.25"x8"  x30" dia that would not have fit in any other gas forge of a similar size. 

This is a pic one of Ralph's first, heck maybe THE first. We brainstormed the idea back when ABANA's Theforge.list was pretty much it for blacksmithing online. It was mostly Ralph's design, great idea and easy to modify to what you want or need.

I wish I'd followed his lead ad used the trailer jack rather than cheaping out and using one of the pile of scissor jacks I had.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-0-80539600-1423434468_thumb.jpg

Ralph Sproul also developed a variable volume forge and sells very detailed  plans.  Google Bear hill Blacksmith.  I am using one and really like it.  I don't change the size that often  but have used it to heat and forge a half ring of 2.25"x8"  x30" dia that would not have fit in any other gas forge of a similar size. 

Thanks

Nj, that is a "bullet grate" the slag roles down and makes a donut around it and stays out if the air stream. A bit of ash and it' no longer dripping down on the fuel "bellow the grate"
J, didnt say would forge on the ground, but for the cost of shipping i could build one that as well or better, for $250, i can build a real nice forge, including the tools I need to get started.
I belive that most of us can.

Wow everybody!! I certainly did not start this post so everybody could bash and ridicule this man.... For the most part, we are all grown adults here and shouldn't be like this. So what if he's more of a fabricator than a blacksmith, he likes the metal trade as do all of us on this forum! You should be ashamed of yourselves. I've seen PLENTY of work that has been done by members on this forum (some of whom have replied to this thread) that leaves little to be desired!!

-Hillbilly

Nj, that is a "bullet grate" the slag roles down and makes a donut around it and stays out if the air stream. A bit of ash and it' no longer dripping down on the fuel "bellow the grate"

I was not talking about the height of the grate.  I was referring to having to drop a bolt into a hole to control the air flow.  That seems to be a very awkward way to do that.

Wow everybody!! I certainly did not start this post so everybody could bash and ridicule this man.... For the most part, we are all grown adults here and shouldn't be like this. So what if he's more of a fabricator than a blacksmith, he likes the metal trade as do all of us on this forum! You should be ashamed of yourselves. I've seen PLENTY of work that has been done by members on this forum (some of whom have replied to this thread) that leaves little to be desired!!

-Hillbilly

I'm pretty sure you did, in your original post you asked what everyone thought. If all of the people that responded so far did not like the forge and said so they are simply doing as you asked, sharing their thoughts. If you did not want to invite criticism you should not have asked for peoples thought on the matter and instead given examples of all the things you do like about it. I think the forge has its place and I with the guy well on his endeavors. This would make a pretty good starter forge for someone who does not have the time, skills, or tools to build a forge. However it is has its limitations and for you to say someone should be ashamed for pointing them out when you asked them to do such is not right.

Lol, I miss understood you NJ!. I agree that the bold air regulator is a bit cheasy.
I didn't intend to ridicuel any one, as a fabrication his design in iginius, as a forge, it coild be improved, and for the money I can show you how to build a better set up cheaper. Now his design and demo video shows his ignorance of some basic conseps of desighn and use. This is only a statement, not an insult, given a weekend playing with a couple of forges and he would trully understand what works and what works better.
But as has been pointed out, you asked what (the colective) we thaught of his product. I critiqued the product, an made an onsevation based on that, If you know him I would be happy to help him with the Mark II design. I work cheap for a worthy cause, lol.
I give him credit for praducing the product, he executed a mediocre desighn exelently.