I Forge Iron

Small anvil information: G.M. Co. Mfg. Co. 4-pound anvil

I am looking for more information on and if anyone else has seen another one of these small G.M. Co. Mfg. Co. - Long Island City, N.Y. - 4 pound anvils? It has the following dimensions a: 6-1/2" long heel to horn tip, 3-1/4" height, 3-7/8" x 1-1/4" face, 3" x 2-5/8" base foot corner to foot corner, and a 7/16" Hardie hole. It weighs 3.90 pounds and is marked with a number 4 near the base. It appears to be made by or like a Badger anvil. This particular one was obviously hand painted and decorated and also has a Hardie tool.

post-61313-0-79234100-1422800876_thumb.jpost-61313-0-38608100-1422800888_thumb.j

It's a little big and heavy for a paperweight and since the tool company that's name appears on this anvil was known to manufacture and sell tools and equipment on small scales for the hobbyist market (especially very small lathes) I suspect this was another product in their tool line.

I wouldn't say that it was ever meant to be a functioning tool.  More likely a "look what we can do" kind of thing.  Maybe made for a special occasion and handed out to staff at the Christmas party.

The fact that it has a matching hot cut kinda points me even more towards the notion that it's meant as a novelty.  

By the looks of how the Hardie tool is made it appears that someone that owned the anvil during its life made the tool themselves to go along with anvil. And obviously the anvil nor the tool were always decorated. The anvil shows signs of use in person.