I Forge Iron

Using railroad tie plates in anvil construction?

I recently had the chance to get a number of railroad tie plates. Each weighs about 80lb. About 8x16. From my reading they are rolled steel comperable to 1050.

Would stacking say 4-6 of these plates and bolting / welding them together provide an adequate work surface when mounted to a tree stump? What caveats should I be aware of?

If you bolt or wield the plates together you will have dead spots where the plates are not wielded you will do just as good cutting your stump a little taller and using one plate. Then you can take a couple of the other plate and make a stake plate and a hardy plate for different size hardy and metal forming stakes.

If you are able to do so, you might want to accumulate as much heavy scrap iron as you can, then scrap it for $$, and use the money to buy a real anvil.  I know some areas of the country have rules about scrapping 'railroad iron' without documentation, but mixing it in with other scrap usually will hide it pretty well.  Mostly they are concerned with rails, not tie plates.

Thanks gentlemen. I was thinking about potentially going both routes mentioned. If I do opt to use a single plate a few already have about 3/4 inch square holes I can use for a hardy. There isn't any issue in carving out some wood under there for depth on the hardy tool shafts is there? These plates are about an inch thick.

Also I was thinking about forming a horn with one of them. Any insight?

Don't waste the time making a horn in the plate. Make a bic stake with a 3/4" shank instead. Horns aren't very necessary, I almost never use mine except occasionally truing up a ring or similar. Forging scrolls, rings, hooks, etc. is done easily on the face or off an edge.

Keep your eyes open for a piece of shaft or truck axle. I won't repeat what I just wrote about truck axles in the preceding post but they make SWEET anvils, they do.

Frosty The Lucky.

I had somebody bring me a bucket o' scrap this past weekend and it included one of these plates.  I'm contemplating cutting out the center section and mounting it on a piece of square stock as a hardy tool striking plate.  It's surface is cleaner/smoother than my anvil, will be a nice addition when I am forging something that I'd like to get a smoother surface on.