I Forge Iron

Building the 'shop' from 'scrap'

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly scrub and poplars as much as 12" in diameter.  Saving my schekels to purchase a chainsaw attachment so I might be able to mill them into usable pieces for a variety of construction projects. Like shelves and workbench components.  It has been pointed out that they are not a good source for the veritcal supports, because of how quickly they will rot in the ground.

As long as its not in ground contact, and kept dry it will be just fine for fraining. Localy the solution was to build a dry fit stone wall and then build the walls above that. The foundation walls keep the ground moisture from rotting the popular. More than one way to skin that cat. Rot resistant poles are relitively fast and have been less expesnsive than steel, concreat of masonry. Now, not so much. We have gotten used to using them for certain applications. And manufactures (and zoning regulations have increased their price to the point they may not be the most economical, especialy if you are interested in somthing lasting more than 20 years. So you still have other options

Oh, yes. I have tons of options.  As soon as the grond thaws a bit, I'm cutting more trees, then using the blade on the tractor to clear out a bunch of the undergrowth. May use the subsoiler to cut up roots to pull a few inconvenient stumps.

I always thought it would be morefun to blow them out ... but our government no longer believes the common citizen can be entruted with such power and tools.  Only they and those they permit and license can be so entrusted.

I have a pamphlet somewhere in my files that was a US Department of Agriculture publication all about removing tree stumps with explosives.  Lots of diagrams and charts about how to do it and how much to use.  This was from the 1930's, a different time and era.  It was the easiest way to clear fields before the days of hydraulic excavators and big Cat track machines.

Some where I used to have a copy of an old Field and Stream (?) article a friend of mine gave me years ago from the 50's or 60's that showed how the average person could make their own duck pond. Pretty simple. All you need to do is bury a 5 gallon bucket of home made ANFO ( material list included in the article) in the ground where you want to place your duck pond and set it off...

I remember helping a friends dad clear trees and burn stumps while I was out near Seattle.  Small trees, dig all around stump and drop the old tires over the stump and light them up. Big stumps, dig all around stump and pile the tires up against the outside to burn.

These days burning tires can net you a hefty DOEQ/EPA fine. Tho there is a pyretic stump removing compound. Im afraid with the controls on ammonium nitrate it is easer to make nitro cellulose (dynamite) than ANFO (ammonium nitrate and fuel oil) tho if you buy enough instant cold packs you could get a usable amount. Personally the ATF kicking my door isn't Something on my bucket list.
The old school method was to use a special chisel plow that looped around the stomp and pivoted so as to cut the roots, then to chain the boom to the stump so that wen it was pulled on it twisted the tap root off. A good team of 16 hand/ 1600# horses can generate a lot of power with out spinning their "tires"

May I commend to your attention the Dupont Blasters Handbook; which should be subtitled: Better Living Through High Explosives Want to get rid of a stump/boulder/trees---use explosives! Want to dig a ditch/hole/pond---use explosives! Want to crack a hard boiled egg---use explosives! (OK that last one I made up...) It was in my university's engineering library and time I should have spent on Calculus was whiled away contemplating how lucky we were that my scout troop didn't have access to the book and the energetic materials... Thomas the ten fingered

Tomas , i have a freind who is a crime analyst (he actually wrote most of the curriculum and programs used today) and he has made a good living, but the "humorous" warm up portion of his lecture usually involves "crazy" Charles stories. At his wedding (some 20 years ago) was a bunch of folks working for 3 letter agencies...
Me pleading the fifth only added to their amusement.

I will admit to being surprised by a call from one of my college roommates who told me "Do you know what today is?" "No" I replied. "Today is 7 years from the day we graduated so the statute of limitations is over for all our college pranks..."

Rather a sad day in some ways.

I do spend time in boring meetings cataloging scars on my hands: Dog bite, molten metal, saw, chisel, grinder, welding tank (crush injury), knife,... multiples of many of those... And I still feel that I got off lightly!

Thomas the ten fingured

• 1 month later...