I Forge Iron

Hello from South Africa

Marius

Hello.  I'm Marius Titus from the Cape Winelands.

I am mainly a bladesmith, but I also have a passion for the art of blacksmithing thanks to my teachers, one of whom (sadly on the brink of retiring) still has the original toolkit his father gave him as a very young boy.

The bug bit me in the 90's and it's been an interesting journey all the way.

My favourite tool was a 10 pound sledge picked up at a scrapyard (back when people were still allowed to do so) with a handy large radius straight peen that makes short work of reducing stock.  (I'll give the story that each hammer has a name and background story a skip ;)) 

Advice to beginners would be to find qualified teachers and be prepared to listen patiently, even though a lot of it won't make sense at the beginning.

Keep well

Marius

Welcome aboard Marius, glad to have you. I have a similar hammer, weighs 17lbs. and has a straight pein. It's dynamite at drawing steel if a boy can swing it, I let the youngsters swing it when they strike for me. Mine is a stone dresser's hammer but makes a terrific smithing hammer.

One last word, we LOVE pictures.

Frosty The Lucky.

As requested, here is a view of the shop, I use a japanese type box-bellows.

DSC01362_zps753ddc7d.jpg

Some of my work-horses.  The small faced dog-head hammer is by Conrad Hicks, the blackened ones below it and to the right are homemade.

gallery_1_3_8931.jpg

The handy sledge for drawing heavy stock.

DSC01363_zps2bfa2894.jpg

My most recent blacksmithing project, this one for the home.

DSC01188_zpsd120dfc5.jpg