I Forge Iron

End of an Era (at least for me)

JPH

Hello:

As many of you all know who read these boards, I have been , for close to 20 years been quite busy doing the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire, now held in Irwindale, Califonia every spring. In factr I have met several Iforge members there during the run of faire...

Well due to "differences" between the folks who run RPFS and myself I am NO LONGER doing that faire. It was a very difficult decision to make and well, it needed to be made. I do not feel it is appropriate to air these differences in a forum such as this and they will remain private.. All I want to do is get the "word out" that I will not longer be a vendor at RPFS. I am still "in business"..I just won't be there.....

So if you were planning on going and seeing my hairy carcass there..you won't!!

Other than that...this means I just MIGHT be showing up at some knife shows in the Southwest...MAYBE....

JPH

Hello:

Coyote: As far as I know...not anything worth going to as far as knife shows..Wally Beinfeild (the founder of what in now known as "Blade Magazine"...) puts on the so called "Las Vegas Classic" knife show with one of his antique arms shows in January and well...they are dismal..I won't do it cause folks drop by here to pick up what they are looking for so why should I spend all that $$$ to sit behind a table and be bored stiff when I can be productive here??

I WISH there was a nice "custom only" show in this geographical area but there isn't...Sigh..

what part of Nevada are you in??

JPH

Yep GVR 4579 I was asking you. I know lots of the folks who formerly worked Shakopee so was wondering if you might be one. I should throw in a " Howdy Neighbor " about here too. I'm over in Wisconsin in the Eau Claire area. and get uparound the Twin Cities fairly often.
Finnr

I went to a local show as a customer for theh first time this past spring. The best things I saw was an Old Timer pocket knife that I had been looking for and an axe forged from cable. the guy wanted $600.00 for the axe and I told my wife that most likely somebody will come along and buy it. Everything else was pretty sad. I was rather disappointed and I don't plan on going back. I see much better stuff on sites like this.
JPH, sorry to hear about the parting of ways. That's always a hard thing. I always look forward to seeing the work that you post.

Sorry to hear about the faire. You should think about setting up a knife show yourself. Some sort of juried show I would think would be appropriate, Might be able to talk some local sponsors into handling the fee's. As you've said, there is no serious show in the area. Of course i'm sure you have nothing else to do :rolleyes:. Can't hurt to think about it.

Coyote:

Indian Springs?? Man I thought I was in the boonies...welding class in Henderson?? where?? New one on me...

JPH

indian springs is big city living compared where im from originally. im taking some welding classes at csn on college and heather. hey, do you use coal? if so where do you get it?

Coyote:

CCSN on College off the 93/95/515??? If so that is like 7 minutes from my place...As far as the coal goes...no..I switched to LPG cause if I didn't the powers that be wouldn't give me a buisness lisence...and they would of made me put in all sorts of air scrubbers and everything else so I went with gas...Supplies around here are almost non-existant. I have everything brought in by truck..I order steel by the ton and pretty much in bulk as far as everything else goes and what I can't find I usually end up making..

Dodge: I am on the opposite end of the state from Carson City, down by Las Vegas...

JPH

No no no no no!! Nega, Nyet, Nani...Negative.. I am NOt even going to start to even think about doing a show..been there..done that and I won't do it again...Too much 32$%*(^ work for this old man...

Coyote: It was a choice of using LPG and staying in business or not using LPG and NOT staying in business. I love the versatility of a coal fire but the speed and ease of using LPG, coupled with the lack of billowing clouds of black smoke...well...LPG it had to be for me to stay "open and running"....

Charcoal is decent...plus it doesn't send your neighbors over the edge as it smells like you are B-B Qing...Charcoal gets plenty hot and is nice and "clean"...you burning mesquite or???I use mesquite for demo's where I burn coal and for smelting...

JPH

i make charcoal from whatever wood i can get, mostly pallets. i do use lots of 2x4 cutoffs too with no problems. while i do sometimes forge with mesquite, and i even have mesquite growing all over my land, i like to save that for cooking meat. there are some charcoal ovens from back in the day up in the mountians behind my house. they made charcoal from pinyon pine to smelt silver. i can get a permit from the blm to cut 4 cords of pinyon a year. so i may try that some day. but for now pallets are easy to get and work very well.

Coyote:

Sounds like you got the fuel problem licked...I would stay with the charcoal and not even bother with trying to find any soft coal around here...I had no choice as far as the gas goes, in some ways it's better, some way's it's not....for the volume of work that I do, I probably would of went with LPG eventually anyways...I put out a LOT of stuff...

JPH