I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

Hi. Looking at a picture of what I'm told is a 150# anvil, London Pattern. The only marking I can see from the picture is a raised U on the front foot directly under the horn. Very nice, sleek shape, but I don't believe as narrow as what I think a farrier's anvil to be. One small pritchel hole. Looks like about a 1" hardy. Didn't know if the raised capital U was enough to identify the maker or if this was a fairly generic mark. 

Thanks,

Jamie Bacon

post-14474-0-35979300-1410045085_thumb.j

Looks like cast iron. If it doesn't have a steel plate on top, like a vulcan or a Fisher, it will be a very poor anvil. 

At a minimum a rebound test is required. 

If you are near the southern border, many fake anvils have made their way here. That one appears to have had some actual work done on it though. 

More pictures would help. 

Jamie, you should add your location to your profile, many things are area specific. IE. To me that doesn't look like cast iron(the patina of the face looks like it's from use and I can't make out the seam that you often see on cast iron anvils, though the forgers are getting better at it), and the 'u' looks like it may be a weld bead.

Yes I know people use crappy anvils but based on mho that looks like a good anvil, bounce a ball-bearing or a small hammer on it and check for 'rebound'

Asking about an anvil that you haven't looked at or tried to bounce a steel ball bearing on, is like trying on clothes that are in a picture book. Candy is Dandy, Licker is Quicker, the Proof is in the Pudding, etc.....

If you don't have an anvil, then even a poor anvil is better than the one you are using now, regardless what other people think.

Sometimes you have to take a gamble in life, be brave.......... :) :)

Neil